Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a good ranch dipping sauce and salad dressing recipe

Options
I found a few on the interweb but I am looking for one that YOU have already done and like.  I have buttermilk, yogurt, sour cream, homemade mayo, fresh herbs, etc.

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    This is the one we like and I try to add a little more dill while SWMBO isn't looking.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/homemade-ranch-dressing/
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I used a very simple Ranch and BBQ sauce blend before and I really liked it.  Very simple!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I haven't touched ranch since I discovered Alabama White Sauce.  In some ways it is similar to ranch, but MUCH better.  I keep a large squirt bottle of it in the fridge at all times.  Do an online search for "Alabama White Sauce" and give it a try.  It's easy to make.  You can make it cool or spicy or in between.  You might never need ranch again.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Hub said:
    I haven't touched ranch since I discovered Alabama White Sauce.  In some ways it is similar to ranch, but MUCH better.  I keep a large squirt bottle of it in the fridge at all times.  Do an online search for "Alabama White Sauce" and give it a try.  It's easy to make.  You can make it cool or spicy or in between.  You might never need ranch again.
    I have some white sauce that has been in the fridge for at least a month is it still good to eat or should I trash it?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    @Logger Thanks!  Will try it.

Options
    @Hub Alabama white sauce is for meat right?  I will try it one day.  Maybe I shouldn't say that here but I am looking for a veggies dipping sauce.  The tomato plants are producing more than we can eat right now and I'd like to make my own dip rather than purchasing a ready made from the store.  I made a salad dressing today 1 part homemade mayo mixed with 1 part buttermilk, freshly cracked pepper and fresh herbs.  It was tasty and good as a salad dressing but not consistent enough for dipping veggies (and wings :))

Options
    http://www.copykat.com/2014/08/24/chuys-creamy-jalapeno-dip/ My family loves this as a dipping sauce
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    So thanks to this thread I finally made ranch dressing. Ruined it with the garlic, and poured it out. My wife said that even though I only used one clove if garlic, it was a big one and really was enough for a measured two. Tomorrow I'll use none and less chives as well. Thanks for pushing me over the edge!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hub
    Options
    Hub said:
    I have some white sauce that has been in the fridge for at least a month is it still good to eat or should I trash it?
    It's mayo mixed with vinegar, spices, and lemon juice.  NONE of those things even come close to going bad in a month.  Whatever you do ... DON'T trash it.  Eat it!!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    So thanks to this thread I finally made ranch dressing. Ruined it with the garlic, and poured it out. My wife said that even though I only used one clove if garlic, it was a big one and really was enough for a measured two. Tomorrow I'll use none and less chives as well. Thanks for pushing me over the edge!
    In my books, there ain't no such thing as too much garlic!!  ;)
  • Hub
    Options
    paqman said:
    @Hub Alabama white sauce is for meat right?  I will try it one day.  Maybe I shouldn't say that here but I am looking for a veggies dipping sauce.  The tomato plants are producing more than we can eat right now and I'd like to make my own dip rather than purchasing a ready made from the store.  I made a salad dressing today 1 part homemade mayo mixed with 1 part buttermilk, freshly cracked pepper and fresh herbs.  It was tasty and good as a salad dressing but not consistent enough for dipping veggies (and wings :))

It's primary use is for chicken, but NO WAY I would say it is for meat only.  I'm a big fan of the low country boil, and I dip my potatoes in it.  Ranch isn't for meat only.  Why should Alabama White Sauce be?
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Hard to beat for great taste and ease of whipping a batch up. You can make as little or as much as you want. Penzey's has great products. https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/buttermilk-ranch/c-24/p-534/pd-s
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Have you heard of Ginger Chestnut Dip?  I tried it for the first time this weekend and I couldn't stop eating it!   It was one of the best veggie dips I've had and I think it would be fantastic on a salad, too.

HERE is the recipe if you are interested.   
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Hub said:
    Hub said:
    It's mayo mixed with vinegar, spices, and lemon juice.  NONE of those things even come close to going bad in a month.  Whatever you do ... DON'T trash it.  Eat it!!
    Thanks need to get some chicken then. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited September 2016
    Options
    we have a mexican restaurant called chuys local to us that makes the best jalapeno ranch (and i hate ranch).  its super easy to make and deeeelicious

http://www.copykat.com/2014/08/24/chuys-creamy-jalapeno-dip/

its great as a chip dip and as a salad dressing
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I buy the seasoning containers at like a Amish store or even the Hidden Valley ones at the grocery store.  One cup mayo, one cup buttermilk, and the season packet, and you're good to go.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WileE.Coyote
    Options
    Its probably frowned upon but 
    Image result for hidden valley ranch packet
    Get the packet, mix it yourself. *Dont buy the bottled stuff "tastes funky". 
    Safety Harbor, FL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Its probably frowned upon but 
    Image result for hidden valley ranch packet
    Get the packet, mix it yourself. *Dont buy the bottled stuff "tastes funky". 
    Once you make it yourself from the pack, the bottled dressing just isn't good.
    We make it from the pack all the time.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    3rd for the packet. Oh and don't fall for the Costco bulk ranch that you mix , hidden valley brand.
    i tried it and it does not taste like the packet.
    Seattle, WA