Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5lb Boneless leg o'lamb advice.

Options
1Gunner
1Gunner Posts: 17
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
It's been marinading overnight in olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon, lemon zest, rosemary, oregano, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
Is this best cooked direct or indirect?
Is it best cooked bundled (Costco boneless leg) or splayed?
Cook temp?
Looking for a rare finish.

Any advice from the pros would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    it's for grilling, unless you tied it back into a roast
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I can't do lamb. Too pretentious for me...how arrogant is lamb that it expects us to call its name backwards. Leg of lamb. Rack of lamb. Ridiculous ;)

Good luck on the cook. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I usually leave those Costco lamb legs bundled and slow roast them indirect.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like to cube those and skewer. 450 to 500 direct for good browning and med/rare interior, also cook them splayed, direct

100_1213jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I usually leave those Costco lamb legs bundled and slow roast them indirect.
    looks like he already untied it though? which means that 'marinade' (really more of a sauce, given the ingredients) is going to be uncooked and captured in the interior if he ties it back up again and roasts indirect.  unless he cooks the interior to 150 or so, which is sacrilege with lamb.

i would splay it out direct, maybe raised.  get some crispy edges and char to the sauce and exposed meat, flipping, and cook fast until the internal is just under med-rare.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited August 2016
    Options
    i like to cube those and skewer. 450 to 500 direct for good browning and med/rare interior, also cook them splayed, direct

Agree

this gives a good ratio of exterior flavor meat to interior lamb-y meat. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    The legs I've cooked have at least three distinct muscle groups of different thicknesses. I separate those and cook each to temperature (I like it medium rare, but I cook one to medium if we have guests). I cook indirect at about 400.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @jlsm  interesting point. So the advantage of separating them is because they cook at different rates?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Be careful you do not leave in the marinade for long as the lemon will cook the meat and the finished product might be tuff.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Be careful you do not leave in the marinade for long as the lemon will cook the meat and the finished product might be tuff.
    It doesn't go much beyond the surface actually. Can make it mushy

it's the same for Adolf's tenderizer. It doesn't penetrate very far and can't really tenderize the meat. 

Acids can denature proteins like when making ceviche, sure. But it isn't really possible to cook the lamb meat to any significant degree beyond the surface

wpuld need a lot of lemons