Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poor man's Egg feet: Copper elbows for air gap under Egg?

Options
I've seen some folks suggest that copper elbows are good (and relatively cheap!) air spacers that can be placed between the plate setter and pizza stone or plate setter and Dutch oven, etc.

Any reason I can't place some of these elbows between my Large Egg and paving stone in my cedar table? The only potential disadvantage I can see is that it might be a lot of weight on only a few points with small surface area (and that maybe this could mar the ceramic?).

Also, I'd like the air gap to be as narrow as possible to keep the Egg from sitting too high in the table, but don't know if there if there is an optimal gap width.

Would appreciate any insights or experiences on this. Thanks.

(@RRP: Just tagged you because you had originally alerted me to the issue of the gap and accordingly, I thought you may be in a position to weigh in; though please don't feel obliged, as I know your expertise is often in demand.)

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    The best option is BGE's table nest. But on a budget, go to lowes and get some clay pot feet. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks @Jeremiah. Just curious - What makes these a better choice than the elbows? The height of the clay appears to be 2.5" while I anticipate I could get elbows with a much narrower profile, so I wouldn't mind the elbow option if there were no downsides. The other advantage of the elbows is that they wouldn't be visible, as they'd be completely hidden under the Egg base.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Stability would be my number one. That said, I believe the table nest is only like $40-$50, and would be better still. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    One of my biggest gripes of Big Green Egg is the table nest. They take away the green feet and now charge you an additional $20+ for an air gap. I'm surprised more people don't get pissed about this. The cheapest egg is $400 new and they can't provide a $2 part to manufacture?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Jeremiah: While a table nest would be very pricey at home (Canada), I might have a look at them when travelling in the U.S. in a few weeks. Thanks again.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    One of my biggest gripes of Big Green Egg is the table nest. They take away the green feet and now charge you an additional $20+ for an air gap. I'm surprised more people don't get pissed about this. The cheapest egg is $400 new and they can't provide a $2 part to manufacture?
    I'm surprised more people don't get pissed that all the eggs are sold alacarte. You get an egg and buy everything else. No wonder Kamado Joe is killing it in sales. Just saying...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,595
    Options
    sit your egg on a bed of ceramic briquettes? just thinking out wild  :)
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grillpro-barbecue-ceramic-briquettes-0851281p.html#srp

canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    LOL - my opinion isn't sought that often so just ask my wife! I agree with @Jeremiah about the stability issue. 3 ceramic pot feet are cheap and will keep your egg from moving around which IR will do the more you use it.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead: Not a bad idea. My only concern would be stability, as I assume the briquettes are rounded rather than perfectly square.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

yljkt said:
    WeberWho said:
    I'm surprised more people don't get pissed that all the eggs are sold alacarte. You get an egg and buy everything else. No wonder Kamado Joe is killing it in sales. Just saying...
    I hear you both. The Joe owners I know have always used KJ's supplying of the accessories as the justification for choosing over the Egg (rather than say, quality or features of the cooking vessel itself).
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @RRP:)

Could you do just the pot holders on a wooden table, or would you have to employ them in addition to/on top of a paver stone?
  • RRP
    Options

Could you do just the pot holders on a wooden table, or would you have to employ them in addition to/on top of a paver stone?
    Me, personally -  I use 2 layers of cement pavers plus the BGE feet. Air circulation is only part of the fire proofing equation! But to be BLUNT - HELL NO!  =)
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @RRP: Now I see why your wife doesn't ask your opinion - too blunt.  ;)

If using the table nest, can it be placed directly on the wooden table? While I wouldn't have thought this would be advised, the BGE video demonstrates it directly on a wooden table without a paver.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    No. Paver plus air gap. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I use kiln posts for interior spacers when needed.  No reason three of them the same size couldn't be used under the egg.  They are dirt cheap.  Just google ceramic or kilt supplies in your city or order online.

Phoenix 
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I use those as well.  They are great.  The women at the local stained glass shop kept asking which kiln I had.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • RRP
    Options

If using the table nest, can it be placed directly on the wooden table? While I wouldn't have thought this would be advised, the BGE video demonstrates it directly on a wooden table without a paver.
    LOL - guess I'm confused when several of us "think" that using just that table nest on a wooden table isn't enough. Is there some reason making you argue? I mean like your design or something? Sooner than later somebody will come along and post some more pictures of their burnt table, burnt patios, or burnt down homes. I just don't get your resistance.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Not using a paver is like using a chimney starter on a wooden deck. Sooner or later an ember will get on the wood. Playing with fire is a real hazard.
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    I was having a bit of trouble getting my large to balance on the three ceramic legs. Ended up using a four inch square of granite remnant under the back center where it can't be seen. Between that and the feet it's rock solid as the granite was the exact same thickness. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 699
    Options
    Would the copper not conduct the heat to the wood? I'd say it'd have to be something that'd offer some insulation to the wood.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Holding the weight of a pizza stone or DO is one thing, but the egg weighs a lot more.  That's a different kettle of fish.  There cheap enough better solutions mentioned already.  Egg on my friend!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    How about this? Your wood surface, a small spacer, a granite or ceramic tile, the ceramic feet, then the egg. You have a tiny air gap between the wood and the tile, the tile to get the radiant heat from the egg, then the feet for an air gap between the egg and the tile. You'll probably be close to the same height as the paver stone.

On my table, I have a table nest on ceramic tile inlaid into the table. Under those ceramic tiles are square steel tubing to support the weight of the egg. Two steel tubes run right under the nest feet. Plenty of room for the tile to cool above and below. I tested the ceramic tiles being only supported on the outside of 2 edges and then stood on them. 2 different tiles and neither broke. I weight more than the egg.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Any reason I can't place some of these elbows between my Large Egg and paving stone in my cedar table? The only potential disadvantage I can see is that it might be a lot of weight on only a few points with small surface area (and that maybe this could mar the ceramic?).

Also, I'd like the air gap to be as narrow as possible to keep the Egg from sitting too high in the table, but don't know if there if there is an optimal gap width.

Would appreciate any insights or experiences on this. Thanks.
    Copper elbows will help to concentrate the weight of the egg into as small as space as possible - you end up with a higher risk of egg cracking.  

You want the air gap to be as large as possible, not as narrow as possible.  You would be better off getting a thinner paver and increasing the air gap if you insist on not having the egg sit higher.  There is no optimal gap, just the greater it is the more protection it offers.  The table nest creates a 2" gap, so this is probably a good value to use.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    blasting said:

I use kiln posts for interior spacers when needed.  No reason three of them the same size couldn't be used under the egg.  They are dirt cheap.  Just google ceramic or kilt supplies in your city or order online.

I use the same. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    RRP said:

LOL - guess I'm confused when several of us "think" that using just that table nest on a wooden table isn't enough. Is there some reason making you argue? I mean like your design or something? Sooner than later somebody will come along and post some more pictures of their burnt table, burnt patios, or burnt down homes. I just don't get your resistance.
    The resistance is about how much fire risk a person is willing to accept.  Some people are willing to spend the cash to add a layer of non flammable material in order to reduce the risk of a fire - others are less concerned or are willing to accept a higher risk.  

Even BGE suggests using a paver in addition to the table nest, especially if you do long smokes (think brisket and butts) or high temperature cooks (think steaks or pizza). Their thoughts:

THE EGG IS DESIGNED TO BE USED IN A METAL NEST OR WITH A METAL TABLE NEST, PROVIDING AN AIR GAP BELOW THE EGG – however you must exercise caution and not place an EGG directly over combustible material such as ground cover or an extremely dry wood surface even if using a Table Nest.

Although a concrete paver block (non-porous) or granite tile can be used to support the EGG when housed in a table or built-in, it is recommended that these be sufficiently thick for proper heat protection. For optimum heat protection, a Metal Table Nest placed over a granite tile may be used in combination – this is suggested if the EGG is placed over a wood surface such as a table shelf and is routinely used for long cooks or high temperature cooking. A granite tile is typically not very thick, and will not affect overall height significantly when used with a Metal Table Nest.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited August 2016
    Options

If using the table nest, can it be placed directly on the wooden table? While I wouldn't have thought this would be advised, the BGE video demonstrates it directly on a wooden table without
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I can't remember what I paid for my table nests, but they are sturdy. I think I refer them over three loose pieces of anything.
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    RRP said:

Me, personally -  I use 2 layers of cement pavers plus the BGE feet. Air circulation is only part of the fire proofing equation! But to be BLUNT - HELL NO!  =)

I have to agree. My original set up was the feet on a BGE Cypress table. When I moved the egg to its new table there was a burnt spot under the egg.