Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

next week college football begins...what to cook????

Options
I'm a huge college football fan. We have family and friends coming to town next weekend. It is still hot in the south but trying to come up with ideas of what to cook. Clemson doesn't play until 9:00 pm eastern next Saturday. I want to cook something for dinner and then have something I can cook to munch on while we watch the game. I have thought about a brisket for dinner, and my wife says she wants something wrapped in bacon for gametime. I am up for anything. Cooking for 6 adults and 4 kids under 10 for dinner. Any ideas from you experts would be greatly appreciated.
Irmo, SC

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Must do wings somewhere along the way. Enjoy!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,223
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So you are not going to the game? You might try some BBQ Beef ribs for dinner......and some ABT's for snacking on later. 

It pains me to pull for the Tigers.....but War Eagle.  =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    agree with above----search the ABT recipes for your bacon wrapped snack goodness.  Sorry but I can NEVER pull for the barn----Go Dawgs
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Notre Dame fans are gonna chow down on some Longhorn. 

Go Irish

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• toogoodootgr
    Options
    So you are not going to the game? You might try some BBQ Beef ribs for dinner......and some ABT's for snacking on later. 

citadel....nothing more to say
    Irmo, SC
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Gator meat would be nice.
    But back to the original question...ribs, wings, abt.  Hot dogs for the kiddos.  And might as well throw some cookies on for dessert!
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Another vote for wings.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    agree with above----search the ABT recipes for your bacon wrapped snack goodness.  Sorry but I can NEVER pull for the barn----Go Dawgs
    Even against Bama? Thought only Bama fans pulled for Bama...
  • northGAcock
    Options

citadel....nothing more to say
    ....and West Virginia scores again!

Ha new season. Back to food. Enjoy your season.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Gator meat would be nice.
    But back to the original question...ribs, wings, abt.  Hot dogs for the kiddos.  And might as well throw some cookies on for dessert!
    I was so going with gator meat. curse of my Tennessee ways. 

Maybe atomic tiger turds?  =)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

rmr62 said:
    ----Go Dawgs
    I had to reuse once. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 697
    Options
    Pig shots are good too. 

I'm not going to pick on the SC fans at this point..... Maybe this will be their year or at least in the right direction!

Go Tigers.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    feef706 said:
    rmr62 said:
    Even against Bama? Thought only Bama fans pulled for Bama...
    well my son wasn't smart enough to get into UGA and thus had to go to Bama---so I have to give them a bit of a pass since he is a Bama Alum now----of course, he was driving through Auburn with his window down, and had 3 degrees from AU tossed in as he passed through---he promptly threw them back out the window
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Pig shots are good too. 

I'm not going to pick on the SC fans at this point..... Maybe this will be their year or at least in the right direction!

Go Tigers.
    Thanks man....we gonna have a long season. Ready to get it started though.

• toogoodootgr
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will have to devote some time this weekend to trying some things. The "crazy wings" are definitely going up. I will also need to check on the ABT's too. 
    Irmo, SC
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will have to devote some time this weekend to trying some things. The "crazy wings" are definitely going up. I will also need to check on the ABT's too. 
    Seriously one thing we do a lot that is really popular when it gets about October to change things up is chili and cornbread or chili dogs.

Usually try to throw it on early in the morning, then go down to the Vanderbilt tailgate (because they are terrible and the games are almost always at noon) then go home and have food ready by about 2pm. Then people trickle in and out during the day so there is always food ready when someone wanders in. 

South of Nashville, TN

• toogoodootgr
    Options
    Seriously one thing we do a lot that is really popular when it gets about October to change things up is chili and cornbread or chili dogs.

Usually try to throw it on early in the morning, then go down to the Vanderbilt tailgate (because they are terrible and the games are almost always at noon) then go home and have food ready by about 2pm. Then people trickle in and out during the day so there is always food ready when someone wanders in. 
    Do you have a good chili recipe? That is one thing I have never really craved. My wife love chili and I have tried different recipes, but I have never found one that I thought was amazing. Thanks
    Irmo, SC
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    That's some high dollar chili! Looks good. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Do you have a good chili recipe? That is one thing I have never really craved. My wife love chili and I have tried different recipes, but I have never found one that I thought was amazing. Thanks
    What do you "not" like about chili?  I have a few recipes but they are all very different so that may help. You like beans, ground beef, veggies, etc?

i like mine fairly spicy and kind of like a thick soup chili. But I have a bunch of different traditional and wild game ones, too. 

South of Nashville, TN

• toogoodootgr
    Options

What do you "not" like about chili?  I have a few recipes but they are all very different so that may help. You like beans, ground beef, veggies, etc?

i like mine fairly spicy and kind of like a thick soup chili. But I have a bunch of different traditional and wild game ones, too. 
    I couldn't tell you. I have tried it all. I am not saying I don't like chili. I'm just saying it isn't something I have ever craved. If I had to choose, it would be chili with beans and ground venison. 
    Irmo, SC
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Well, for simplicity's sake, try this one out. It's basically kitchen sink chili. I've been doing it so long I don't have a recipe anymore, but it's a preference thing anyways. 

2 lb of venison, ground (or 1 venison and 1 beef, helps with the fat ratio)
    a tbsp of garlic at the end of the sauté 
    2 cans light kidney beans, drained
    1 large can of tomato sauce
    2 small cans of crushed or diced tomatoes to preference
    1 onion, chopped, sauté 
    2 bell peppers, chopped saute
    1-2 peppers of choice (I like habaneros but the consensus is something with the heat of jalapeno is a favorite) dice, sauté or boil. 
    1 can of corn (use about 1/2 to 2/3)
    cayenne, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, (you will get a lot of salt from the canned stuff so go easy, be liberal with the cayenne and chili)
    1 bay leaf

Throw it all in a crock pot. Come back and taste in an hour. I keep all the spices and a few extra cans of beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes on hand to get it to the consistency we want. I have made it as soupy as vegetable beef and so thick you could use it to fill cracks in concrete. It's all preference. Nice thing about game day is it travels well in a crock pot for tailgates and it will hold before and after the game if you have a plug and some extra tomato sauce. 

I havent done done it on the Egg yet but I got a new 9 qt Dutch oven so I may try it out here soon. 

South of Nashville, TN

• TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Notre Dame fans are gonna chow down on some Longhorn. 

Go Irish
    Yes sir! I smoked a brisket for the game last year and my Irish smoked them horns. This year i'm going porchetta. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    Do a brisket for dinner and then use the leftover brisket inside the abt it is the best I have done. Sprinkle some of your favorite rub on the ABT and sauce when finished.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Every Tiger knows that chicken is a great dish ;)   Sorry, I could not resist.   Best of luck to fans from all teams this season, including you Gamecocks (except for late November of course).   Glad that the best time of year is (almost) here again.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    You are not kidding football and deer season.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • northGAcock
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Every Tiger knows that chicken is a great dish ;)   Sorry, I could not resist.   Best of luck to fans from all teams this season, including you Gamecocks (except for late November of course).   Glad that the best time of year is (almost) here again.
     :o 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    The bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with a cheese porky poulty goodness are hard to beat for mommas request.  If you have multiple levles a la cgs multigrid, id smoke baby back ribs.  Cant go wrong, easy to make and the perfect football food that can be done ahead of time, foil wrapped amd then you make abts as pregame snacks.  Itll all be awesome.  
  • toogoodootgr
    Options
    thanks for all the tips
    Irmo, SC