Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coconut Cream Pie

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In case you have room for dessert after the great meals from the BGE, I recommend the following recipe for coconut cream pie that I got from the DVD's of the Cooks Illustrate cooking show.[p]The one I made had a couple of deviations from the recipe, because I couldn't find graham crackers at my local grocery store (in Tampico, Mexico) and I decided that a standard meringue would be better than whip cream.[p]Coconut Cream Pie
Cooks Illustrated Video [p]Crust
10 graham crackers crumbled
5 Tbsp toasted, unsweetened, shredded coconut (small pieces, not long strands) – reserve one Tbsp
2 Tbsp white sugar
5 Tbsp melted, unsweetened butter [p]Toast coconut in a pie pan in an oven at 325 F for about 9 minutes, stirring several times.[p]Add graham crackers and 4 Tbsp coconut to a food processor and pulse until very fine and pour into a bowl. Stir in sugar and butter and pour into the pie pan (no need to butter pan) and press bottom and sides.[p]Bake in an oven at 325 F for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.[p]Filling – part 1
1 14 oz. can of coconut milk
1 cup whole milk
½ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (not toasted)
1/3 cup sugar
¼ tsp salt[p]Heat in a sauce pan until small bubbles form around the outside and slowly stir into the eggs (below) taking care to pour slowly at first to temper the eggs.[p]Filling – part 2
¼ cup cornstarch
5 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar[p]2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 ½ tsp vanilla[p]Whisk together first three ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the above filling. Add the filling from above and pour back into the sauce pan and cook over medium low heat, while whisking, for about 30 seconds, until cornstarch clearly starts thickening. [p]Take off heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into crust, cover with plastic wrap pressed onto filling and chill for 3 hours.[p]Whip 1 cup cream with sugar and vanilla to taste and put on top of pie. Cover with 1 Tbsp reserved, toasted coconut and serve.

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    BobS,
    I see that my cut and paste on the recipe did not work very well, so here is another try.[p]Coconut Cream Pie
    Cooks Illustrated Video [p]Crust
    10 graham crackers crumbled
    5 Tbsp toasted, unsweetened, shredded coconut (small pieces, not long strands) – reserve one Tbsp
    2 Tbsp white sugar
    5 Tbsp melted, unsweetened butter [p]Toast coconut in a pie pan in an oven at 325 F for about 9 minutes, stirring several times.[p]Add graham crackers and 4 Tbsp coconut to a food processor and pulse until very fine and pour into a bowl. Stir in sugar and butter and pour into the pie pan (no need to butter pan) and press bottom and sides.[p]Bake in an oven at 325 F for 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.[p]Filling: part 1
    1 each, 14 oz. can of coconut milk
    1 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (not toasted)
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt[p]Heat in a sauce pan until small bubbles form around the outside and slowly stir into the eggs (below) taking care to pour slowly at first to temper the eggs.[p]Filling: part 2
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    5 egg yolks
    1/3 cup sugar[p]2 Tbsp unsalted butter
    1.5 tsp vanilla[p]Whisk together first three ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the above filling. Add the filling from above and pour back into the sauce pan and cook over medium low heat, while whisking, for about 30 seconds, until cornstarch clearly starts thickening. [p]Take off heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into crust, cover with plastic wrap pressed onto filling and chill for 3 hours.[p]Whip 1 cup cream with sugar and vanilla to taste and put on top of pie. Cover with 1 Tbsp reserved, toasted coconut and serve.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    BobS,
    Thanks BobS we will give it a try. Looks good.
    Elder Ward

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    BobS,[p]Recipe says oven... but just to double check, there's no reason one couldn't do this in the egg right? I'm interested in giving it a try, but I don't do ovens... LOL. Thanks for the recipe, sounds awesome!