Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs 5-0-0

Options
Did these for about 5 hours, no wrap and unwrap and put back on, just 5 hours indirect at 240. OK, full  disclosure, at 4.5 hours I put some sauce on them for the last half hour. 
Served with Italian green beans and a sweet potato. Not the best smoke ring ever, but the flavor and texture were spot on. Don't think I will be wrapping or doing the 3-2-1 thing again anytime soon because these were so good.

Comments

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Looks great. Spare ribs? What kind of grate is that? Looks like it has handles and sure is shiny! 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Never would have thought spares would be done in 5 hours at 240. 

Loin back ribs take five hours even if you foil. (3-1-1)

i usually run hotter now, but back when i was doing them at 250, spares could go 6, 7 hours easy. 

Looks like you have good pullback though. 

They were done?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Looks great. Spare ribs? What kind of grate is that? Looks like it has handles and sure is shiny! 
    These were cooked on my Vision grill. It cooks just about the same as my egg. The Vision grate does indeed have handles. As for the shiny part, it just came out of the dishwasher. I toss the grates in the dishwasher every now and then when my wife is not looking.
  • epcotisbest
    Options

Never would have thought spares would be done in 5 hours at 240. 

Loin back ribs take five hours even if you foil. (3-1-1)

i usually run hotter now, but back when i was doing them at 250, spares could go 6, 7 hours easy. 

Looks like you have good pullback though. 

They were done?
    Yes, plenty done. I prefer ribs with a little bite to them, vs. "fall off the bone." Another hour would have worked just fine, and they would have been more tender I suppose. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    feef706 said:
    These were cooked on my Vision grill. It cooks just about the same as my egg. The Vision grate does indeed have handles. As for the shiny part, it just came out of the dishwasher. I toss the grates in the dishwasher every now and then when my wife is not looking.
    Looks like a platesetter below, is it compatible with the vision? The vision seems to be a great deal at my SAMs club, they had it down to $399 last fall.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    feef706 said:
    feef706 said:
    Looks like a platesetter below, is it compatible with the vision? The vision seems to be a great deal at my SAMs club, they had it down to $399 last fall.
    Yes, that is a BGE platesetter. Fits just fine. I got this Vision at Sam's a couple of years ago.