Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on cooking beef short ribs?

Options
I've seen a few people cook beef ribs so I decided to pick some up. Got some beef chuck short ribs from Costco. I'm guessing I just cook them low and slow similar to a brisket but thought I'd ask first. Raised indirect @225 for 5 hours? Any need to foil? Anything to be concerned about if it's not a full slab? Only cooking 4 of them on Tuesday.

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Those look like a fine start ! Although I prefer mine whole, I'm sure that they will be fine . My four bone slabs take 5 to 7 hours at 225 to 250 . You might want to start probing them for that buttery tenderness at about four. The meat will pull back on the bone when it's getting close. Foil is a choice, but either way go for tenderness not time :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I usually do them at 250, and expect about 5 hours. The chuck ribs have a fair amount of connective tissue. A period in foil doesn't hurt. My experience has been that there are some bites that are still pretty chewy.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    250 raised indirect for 4.5 hours. Sauce, or not, for final 30 minutes. 

Very low stress cook. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    There is no need to cook raised if you don't have the capability. I cook them plate setter legs up and grate all the time .
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I also prefer them uncut, but that isn't a choice for you this time.  Check with the butcher to see if he will sell you some uncut in the future.  I cook mine indirect with the grid on the platesetter (legs up).  250-275 for about 5 hours.  Leave them until they are tender. I used to foil mine for an hour or so in the middle of the cook. This does speed things up but I think they come out much better if foiling is skipped.  I also put some BBQ sauce on when they are almost done.  They will be great and you'll probably be doing this cook again.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Great looking ribs-toothpick test for the win.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited August 2016
    Options

Ribs went on at 2:30. Dinner isn't until 8pm so I should have plenty of time and will probably have to hold them for a little while before dinner. Better a little early than later.

Egg temp wants to climb up even with the blower off and the top vent pedals mostly closed. At least I can say the egg is stabilized with the dome and grate at the same temp.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    Options
    Temp leveled off nicely at 250 after the above post. Started the cook at 2:30 and it was done at 7. I even tried to prolong it a bit by dropping the the Temp down but it was in a hurry to get done. I did not foil any of the meat, I just spritzed the meat with an apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix a few times in the latter half 9f the cook. After done, I just turned the oven on at 160 and left them in there till 8. Also made some corn and jalapeño corn bread and some broccoli to go with it. All the food tasted great.

Gave it a little Blue's Hog sauce at the end.

And the corn and jalapeño corn bread:

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @toxarch...where did you get that cornbread pan ? BTW , food looks great !
    More meat please !! :-)
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks great.  Love the Mexican cornbread. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Toxarch
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    @toxarch...where did you get that cornbread pan ? BTW , food looks great !
    It's not really a cornbread pan. It's called the Baker's Edge brownie pan and you can get it on Amazon. The idea behind it is that the brownies on the edge of a normal pan are better than the ones in the middle because of the crusty edge. I totally agree. Alton Brown named this pan as one you should not buy because it has only one use: brownies. I think it does a great job on cornbread too, even better than in a skillet.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    They came out great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Grand slam dude!