Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit fans

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I've been reading about pit fans like the Flame Boss and BBQ Guru and was just wondering what's the real advantage of using these devices over the eggs stock vents? I did a brisket a while back, set my daisy wheel to 50%, bottom vent to 1/8" and 21 hours later had the best beef brisket I've ever eaten. Didn't have to touch the vents once.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    no need for one here, glad they were not available when i started out =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Not being a smart guy, but why buy a $$$$ Big Green Egg when a $299 Weber will do the same exact thing? Riddle me that ... lol
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Not being a smart guy, but why buy a $$$$ Big Green Egg when a $299 Weber will do the same exact thing? Riddle me that ... lol
    the reason i bought the egg was because it looked like a better kettle grill. i had no idea, there was no hype back then =)
    fukahwee maine

• SoCalTim
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    the reason i bought the egg was because it looked like a better kettle grill. i had no idea, there was no hype back then =)
    Hey Fish, I know ... me too. Love my egg! Hope all is well with you! Tim 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't have a blower and have had good luck with my overnight cooks, but I also have had to get up in the middle of the night each time when alerted by the Maverick. I always get a slight temp drop when the hunk of meat hits 160-165 degrees for some reason, which seems to coincide with the stall, so I will eventually get a device that will allow me to sleep through and also give me some peace of mind if I need to be away from the house on a low and slow.
    Stillwater, MN
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Powak said:
    I've been reading about pit fans like the Flame Boss and BBQ Guru and was just wondering what's the real advantage of using these devices over the eggs stock vents? I did a brisket a while back, set my daisy wheel to 50%, bottom vent to 1/8" and 21 hours later had the best beef brisket I've ever eaten. Didn't have to touch the vents once.
    You can make this assessment about many things Egg and life related.  All in what the person wants.  

I have a cheap controller, Party Q for my over nighters.  I like having that peace of mind.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Powak said:
    You can make this assessment about many things Egg and life related.  All in what the person wants.  

I have a cheap controller, Party Q for my over nighters.  I like having that peace of mind.  
    Matt - I Love My Party Q!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I don't do overnighters anymore since switching to the turbo method, even at that if I'm busy I'll use my BBQ Guru to baby sit! Same way at Thanksgiving I use it since I'm busy and/or entertaining. Sure, a guy doesn't need one, but they are great for peace of mind!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Where's the best place to buy pit fans?
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    A little confused right now, but no biggie.  

@stlcharcoal can hook you up.  You can order from Fire Craft too.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I also use mine for turbo and L&S, due to erratic wind currents that affect my Egg's temperature.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I don't do overnighters, and I've never seen any need for a controller.  I find the temps on my Eggs very stable, though I don't think I'd want to start a fire and then go to bed.  For multiple reasons, really.  I always feel sort of sad when some newbie puts a Flame Boss or something like it on his list of "must have" accessories.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have had my BGE for over two years. Never once have I wanted any type stoker/fire Nanny. I have yet to run an all nighter. Perhaps I will change my mind when I am running the pit filled with SRF Brisket...(just waiting on the right weekend)

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Powak said:
    Your a better man than I am.
    I never can get the charcoal laid in such a way to automatically compensate for the changing draft characteristics caused by the charcoal being burned. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I wonder if you'll find any Pitt fans?  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Don't "need" it but, I own and occasionally utilize my Stoker. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @tarheelmatt. Doubt their are any Yinzers on here.  Yinz is Pittsburgh for ya'll.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I used Eggs for 6 years before I ever bought one.  It's a personal preference thing.  I don't need it but it is nice insurance for overnights, when I'm busy, or when I have to be away from the house during a cook (wifi unit, can view and control it remotely).  We also use them at competitions - we have 4 kamados running plus doing other things so it helps out.

I always recommend using just manual vents for 6 months to a year before buying a controller.  You need to have a good understanding of the pit first.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I went without my Stoker on last two long cooks, but I was home during them and they weren't overnighters. On the overnighters or on really windy days and doing a L&S, I like the sleep and the peace of mind. 
    Also, if you do get one find out how many cookers it can run at once. I got a used Stoker from a friend. It will run three at a time which is perfect for me. I'm not sure how any of the others work. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    There are a lot of folks on this forum that never use one and never had a problem with their cooks but it seems like about once a week someone is posting and looking for answers why their fire went out on an overnight cook. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    XC242 said:
    There are a lot of folks on this forum that never use one and never had a problem with their cooks but it seems like about once a week someone is posting and looking for answers why their fire went out on an overnight cook. 
    and it seems it is a fan device failure thats happening more often lately =)
    fukahwee maine

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have three gurus and the peace of mind when i set up the bge for a long term cook and knowing the temperature will be rock steady is priceless.  I check on it occaisonally but not constantly.  I will admit my egging skills arent to the point yet where i can set it and forget it without the crutch that a guru offers but hey maybe someday.   I have yet to get that consistent temperature maintained with just using the lower slider door and daisy wheel. I guess ill just have to keep practicing.....