Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some ideas for a good cook/smoke 4 hours

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
hi all

plans changed today and we have some time to use the egg.   Looking for some ideas to cook for ~4-5 hours of cook time.  Got some friends coming over this afternoon in the rainstorm to swim.  

Dont want the dreaded yardbirds.

not in the mood for ribs/pork tenderloin either.    

Any ideas?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    How about pizza? Everyone gets to decorate their own...

I've had good success with rolling out personal size pies and then "half-baking" them bare on the egg. Bring them back inside, flip them over, and let people choose toppings they like. Then back on the egg to finish. 

Interested to hear what others suggest also... It's hard to do a pork shoulder or other big cook without some serious planning, but a couple of hours free in the afternoon easier to come by...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Beef ribs!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Beef ribs would be a great option here.  I'll have to check the supermarket for them.  They usually only have the small ones (1 inch or so) that melt down to nothing for stews.

pizza. Not a bad idea either.  Not sure I want to be standing in the rain cooking them - my drink will get watered down.....

Garnerville, NY
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I'd just do a bunch of apps. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Definitely think @DoubleEgger has the plan.  ABT's, wings, pig shots-three different food groups.  Wherever you land-have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You could smoke a fatty or two.  This site has some pretty good instructions:
    http://www.smoking-meat.com/january-2010-bacon-wrapped-stuffed-sausage-fatty

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    Options
    Ended up making some Frito scoop-nachos and some skirt steaks on wraps.

And allot of beer.

One year I'll get a full plan together and cook something worthwhile.

Garnerville, NY