Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt

Options
What's the best temp for cooking a 8 lb pork butt for 12 hours?

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I would guess 250-275. I did a 9# yesterday, but went turbo at 350 and it took about 7 hours. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I like my results more around 250-260 and I don't go higher than 325. If you have the time to be patient I don't see any reason to go hotter, although it can be done with reasonably good results.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    250° should get your 8# butt done in roughly the 12 hour target you have.  Timings are rough, so it could get done sooner or later than scheduled.  If it isn't getting done on time, don't be afraid to increase the heat to speed it up.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I cook mine at 250°. Some folks like 350°. An 8 pounder at 250° should take 12-16 hours, at 350°, maybe 8 hours, but each butt seems to have a mind of it's own. Regardless, don't cook a pork butt for a certain amount of time or to a certain internal temp. Cook it until it's done. I let mine go until the temp is about 195°, but that's just when I start checking for doneness. Once the thermo probe meets no resistance as checked in multiple places, or when the bone wiggles freely, the butt is done. Often, 200-205°.

This assumes you want pulled pork, yes?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TerrieAnn
    TerrieAnn Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes. Thanks! First time it poured rain while I was cooking. Luckily it didn't hurt the temperature of the egg!
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I just dont care for my results doing a turbo butt. My egg loves 275 and I get great results. 300 is the hottest I'll cook a butt anymore. If I dont have the time I'll cook something else. 

Little Rock, AR

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Not a turbo fan. I like 250

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I do tons of butts that will range between 9-10 pounds before any trimming and Cook them usually around 300 in 5.5-6 hours. Pull between 195-205 when the probe right.  
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    TerrieAnn said:
    Yes. Thanks! First time it poured rain while I was cooking. Luckily it didn't hurt the temperature of the egg!
    Egg doesn't care about rain. The cook often does. :) This cook does anyway. I used to cook in the rain, but now, not a chance. Snow, cold, wind, heat, no problem. Rain? I'm in the kitchen.

How was the butt? Done in time? Tasty?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I just dont care for my results doing a turbo butt. My egg loves 275 and I get great results. 300 is the hottest I'll cook a butt anymore. If I dont have the time I'll cook something else. 

Just curious what you didn't like and did you try turbo more than just once? I personally haven't reverted to lo & slo for several years now. Did you foil it? I don't as that's screws up the bark in a turbo. You also have to be careful what rub you use when turbo  as a high sugar content can produce burnt tasting bark. 

I'm not arguing, just standing up for those of us who prefer turbo butts.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ive tried turbo I think three times. One time was my fault cuz I used honey hog and the bark just got too dark. The other two times I just got a harder bark than I like and the meat just didnt seem as tender or juicy. Maybe just bad meat, I dont know. I just get better results between 275 and 300 so I stick with that. I never foil anything other than short ribs and brisket flats. 

Little Rock, AR

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    RRP said:

Just curious what you didn't like and did you try turbo more than just once? I personally haven't reverted to lo & slo for several years now. Did you foil it? I don't as that's screws up the bark in a turbo. You also have to be careful what rub you use when turbo  as a high sugar content can produce burnt tasting bark. 

I'm not arguing, just standing up for those of us who prefer turbo butts.
    I'm with the pharmacist on a preference for lower and slower, though I wouldn't rule out doing one 325 if necessary though I don't like the results nearly as much. Not trying to veer off topic, but I will say the higher heat butts I have done turn out better than the turbo ribs. Anyway, I'd like to pose the same question to you about going turbo. Is it primarily the convenience of not having to go overnight or do you just feel the end result is too negligible to justify the additional time and effort of doing a low and slow? Or do you actually prefer the end product at higher temps, which would be the best of both worlds?
    Stillwater, MN