Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stalling with my shoulder

Options
I'm currently on the down hill side of a 7lb pork shoulder cook...it's 8 hours in and only at internal temp of 150...it's been that temp for about an hour...should I wrap it in foil to help it or just wait it out? This is my first pulled pork attempt and don't want ruin it by doing something prematurely...Iv been around 250 inside the egg...should I crank ithe egg up to 300?

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Eight hours to hit 150 seems a bit long to me @ 250.  Folks here will tell you that pulled pork is one of the most forgiving cuts on the BGE.

I'd work backward from when you want to eat.  If you're looking to make this your dinner, I'd surely suggest slapping on some foil and cranking up the temp to 300.  Turbo pork butt is pretty similar to low & slow.  When do you want to have this done - that will help us to provide suggestions.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I currently have a 9# butt on right now. Put it on at 8:30 and am sitting at 165 at 350 dome. Should be done in another couple of hours. Crank her up to 300-350 and it will be done in no time. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hard to screw up a butt. I never foil. Most of my cooks are at 250° dome until done, however long that takes. At 250°, 10-14 hours is "normal" for a butt that size. But butts have minds of their own! Bumping dome temp to 350° is okay.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DesertSnow
    DesertSnow Posts: 67
    Options
    @NorthPilot06....don't really have a time that I want to be done...I was shooting for around 6 which is in 2 hours...that would mean almost 12 hours on...I know it's about temperature and not time but just don't want to over cook or dry it out...I can tell by moving the thermometer around a couple places the middle is not done because it's tough When I reach it but the first couple inches are like butter 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It won't be ruined. But to make it more better... Wrapping will speed the cooking  up, but the bark will most likely turn to mush. As the guys above wrote, crank up the temperature. If you get the temp up around 350, you might want to mop the butt so the outside doesn't desiccate and char. If the outside dries, it burns, and the inside cooking slows 'cause the heat has to go thru burnt crust.

You will get good chopped pork around 180. 195 - 205 will give you pullable.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Run your temp up to 300-350. That will push it past the stall with no need to foil. Butts are VERY forgiving. I usually start probing mine when the IT hits 195 - 200. If it probes like buttah and the bone wiggles, it comes off.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Does your rub have much sugar?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • DesertSnow
    Options
    @NorthPilot06 1/2 cup brown sugar and that's it...didn't use all the rub either...
    UPDATE: I decided to wrap it and it's shot up about 5 degrees in 10 minutes so fingers crossed! 

Maybe be I just didn't realize how long it took...I'm still very very new to all of this 

thanks for the support!
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    So? What happened 
  • DesertSnow
    Options
    @cheeaa ....I wrapped it when it stalled at 150....temperature really stared going up and I was very pleased....80% of the shoulder was like butter when I was trying to get temp readings...the farthest part away from the bone was 195 but near the bone was only 180....after a nerve racking 13 hours I decided to pull it caus the lady and I were starving....85% was mouth watering good...I even heard a couple moans come from her mouth when we were eating! But........there was a chunk of meat right by the bone...(probably 8oz) that was definitely not done and had to be thrown away...I guess a should have rotated the meat halfway through to get a more even cook? I guess I kinda freaked one I saw one end at 195 and the other at 180 so I just pulled it 

• SmokingPiney
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Looks good!

I cook my butts anywhere between 275 - 300 (no foil), shooting for an IT of around 200 with it probing like buttah and the bone wiggling when pulled. I don't rotate it, but I put the bone end towards the back  of the Egg - a little more heat there. I'll FTC for about 1 hour or so to let it rest before I pull it apart. 

That said, every butt I've cooked has been different. They will finish in their own time. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @DesertSnow, that looks great.  Something I have been doing now instead pulled pork is pork burnt ends.  I take the pork butt to 160-170, because that is where I like the color of the bark at, pull it, let rest in tented foil for about 20 to 30 minutes and then cut it up into cubes.  I then put the cubes in foil pans with a sauce I like and put back on the egg for another couple hours to get caramelized and tender.  My wife likes these a lot better then pulled pork and I don't have to wait for the butts to be like butter.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    @DesertSnow, that looks great.  Something I have been doing now instead pulled pork is pork burnt ends.  I take the pork butt to 160-170, because that is where I like the color of the bark at, pull it, let rest in tented foil for about 20 to 30 minutes and then cut it up into cubes.  I then put the cubes in foil pans with a sauce I like and put back on the egg for another couple hours to get caramelized and tender.  My wife likes these a lot better then pulled pork and I don't have to wait for the butts to be like butter.
    LOL! I have a shoulder on the Egg right now for SGH's burnt ends.  =)