Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy here, planning stages for BGE

Options

Hi all,

I just joined up a few days ago, been reading all I can, and absolutely cannot wait to start experimenting with some slow and lows.  We broke ground on a 16x32 covered patio addition last week, and under that patio will be an L-shaped outdoor kitchen with a BGE, gas grill, fridge, sink, and undercounter drawers and storage. 

So, because this BGE is going to be set within the granite counter top I have 1 shot at this, so I have been debating on what size BGE I want.  I have pretty much settled on an XL, and a MiniMax as well.  The XL will be built in, and the MM will sit on the counter.  The XL will be for long cooks, bigger meals, etc., and the MM will be for steaks and chicken for normal nightly dinners.

Am I on the right track here?  My wife thinks I should get a LBGE, but I'd rather have a bit more room and not wish I'd gotten the XL down the road.  We will be putting in a pool hopefully this time next year, and I figure once that happens our rate of visitors will increase.

I am enjoying the forum, and love reading about all the cooks you folks are doing. 

XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds like for what you are planning, an XL would be the way to go for your first. Might want to plan some space for your second egg, medium or small.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    Yep, I'm buying the MiniMax right along with the XL, that's my plan anyway unless I'm swayed before then.
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Sounds like you have the budget to go all the way to the XXL if it will fit. You may want to consider it depending on how many people you entertain. I have an XL and would love to have the XXL if I could convince the wife that it's worth the money. Whenever I do a large party I find that the XL just isn't enough room. Food for thought. 
  • Kelso
    Options
    OMG, I have not even considered the XXL.  I'm not even sure an XXL would fit in a standard countertop.  That thing is huuuge.  I'm hoping that between the gas grill, an XL, and a MiniMax that I'll have enough room for everything for even the biggest parties. 
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Heck that'll be enough fer all your cooking needs...I have a L and a MM and they are sufficient fer some decently big cooks...
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I have a large and it gets me through most groups of about 10-12. When I am cooking for the masses I often wish I had an XL but most of what i do is just for the family and maybe 1 or 2 other couples so it's plenty big and I would probably be irritated by the amount of charcoal I used up to make food for 3. MM is next on my list. 

When we had a pool when I was younger my dad was always cooking for a ton of food for teenagers and friends and we had a brinkman gas/charcoal combos and both sides were always full of burgers, chicken, ribs, corn, dogs for the kiddos, etc. so you are probably on the right track to assume the masses will show up. 

I don't know if you still have any room left but Inwould kill to have a warming oven built in outside. And an ice machine. Both my alto Shamm and my ice machine are in my garage so we are always trying to distract dogs on the way to drink refills and letting brisket/ pork shoulders rest. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Kelso ...Awesome....and Welcome to the madhouse and addiction !!!!

XL and MM sounds perfect. I'm in a little over 2-1/2 years and I started with an XL. Now I have 2, but that's another story. I'm in the market for a MM or small or Medium....but can't decide. Very convincing debates from both sides. 

There is a recent (within the last month) thread here where all the eggsperts gave me their feedback on which size to buy for my smaller-size addition. It may give you insight on your choice of your 2nd egg.  The XL is perfect for all around entertaining and even just for a small family. (maybe me and my wife just eat alot...I don't know) !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. As you can see , no loss of opinions and options.  Wherever you land you will enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Is the house next door for sale?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I think it depends on what you want to cook, and how many people you're cooking for.  I'm guessing from your plans that you like outdoor entertaining, and you'll be cooking for a bunch of people pretty often.  If that's so, your plan sounds perfect to me!

If you very rarely cook for a bunch of people, though, and mostly cook just for your family, a large might be more efficient and cost-effective.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Possibly two larges then any accessories would fit either one?
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Have you seen them in person?  IMO the perfect combination is the XL/Medium combo.  But the medium can't fit on the counter top like a MM so if that's what you're looking for then I guess you have your answer. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan to me.  With the cost you are talking about in the outdoor kitchen, the difference between the large and XL egg is a drop in the bucket.  

Just my $.02 but if you are looking to save some money now and compromise with the better half you could start with the XL and some lump reducing rings or the brackets.  Sine the MM is not going to be built in you could add that later.  

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/xl-ang-l-brackets-pair-bge

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    First welcome to the Eggdiction. I think your plan is a good one to me. I have an XL and would like a medium or small to go with it.  The MM is nice, but I not into hauling it around from place to place.  Most the time I cook mass amounts of food on the XL and little help from my WSM and just transport to a party.  The MM doesn't take up much room, but a built XL and medium would be nice as well.  The XXL is neat to look at, but you can buy 2 XL's and save money and have the option to cook at different temps.  I have cooked a 18 pound brisket, 2 pork butts at one time, then cooked 7 ribs and 7 pounds of sausage for one party and that feed around 40 people with leftovers.  You just have to plan your cooks if you want to do multiple types of meats.  The XL can do a lot.  Here is what I did a few weeks ago for my In-Laws 50th.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197445/big-cook-for-in-laws-50-wedding-anniversary-pic-heavy#latest
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like your on the right track. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Get the XL and a medium. It's a great combo. The cost of adding the medium is peanuts compared to the overall project cost. Buy a MM later for traveling. 
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Welcome! I bought my first Egg, an XL, almost a year ago. I was going through the same thoughts you are now, choosing between an XL or a L. I finally settled on the XL and am glad I did. BTW, the hole size for an XL is 26.25". I built my own table with a granite top and that's the size I had cut. Fits nicely with a little breathing room all around. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Kelso
    Options

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  I think I'm making the right choices, but many of y'all said to implement a medium or large alongside the XL.  I think if I need that much room I'll just use the gasser as well.

I love this place, and can't wait to be cooking outdoors.  The patio should be finished right around the time football season gets into full swing...did I mention Im also putting 2 TV's on the patio too. 

XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    First of all Welcome. Obviously we can help spend your money. However I think the overall plan is solid. Here is something to think about. Make sure the height of the cooking grate is a good work level sitting on a counter. Now I am a short little guy so take that into consideration. But depending on your height it could be an irritant. Now with that said, I own a medium and the XL. The MM is very similar in diameter. Either will do what you plan--mid week meals or searing/sides. If you think you might like to move the egg around the yard. or bring it somewhere, then MM. My eggs stay put so the medium works well. And I will say I think you will have enough room with the plan
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I think whatever egg or egg's you buy will be great. You will really enjoy them.
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    Welcome. I just bought my XL and love it. I even bought the 2nd level grill after I cooked on the XL a couple of times cause I needed a little extra room and like that it raises the cooking grade. I'm glade that I went with the XL instead of the L.
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Kelso said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.  I think I'm making the right choices, but many of y'all said to implement a medium or large alongside the XL.  I think if I need that much room I'll just use the gasser as well.

I love this place, and can't wait to be cooking outdoors.  The patio should be finished right around the time football season gets into full swing...did I mention Im also putting 2 TV's on the patio too. 

Now all you need to do is give all of us the address, and we will gladly show for some great grub and CFB of course!!!!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Kelso said:

I think if I need that much room I'll just use the gasser as well.

Believe me when I tell you that your gasser will soon be collecting dust.  Don't place so much emphasis on it. You'll kick yourself later for not incorporating a second egg into the table. 
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Welcome to the egg world! 

I have the large and small eggs that get used several times a week. I have a Webber smokey mountain that gets used once or twice a year. I have a Webber gasser that I haven't used in over three years. 

Initially I felt like I should have got the XL, and that almost regretful feeling continued for a long time. Don't get me wrong, the large is very capable. The only time I wanted more room was for parties over 10/15 people. Getting the adjustable rig with two cooking levels from the ceramic grill store stopped the XL cravings. 

When I added the small egg, it gave me the option of two heat zones to cook on, one to smoke and one to grill for example. The small also uses less charcoal and is perfect for middle of the week small cooks for me and the wife. 

I've considered the mini max, but I don't travel enough to justify buying it. My family plans to rent beach houses in southern CA annually, so the small might get to travel. In order to take the large, I would have to convince my wife to pack less clothing and shoes... 

My best advice: everyone needs at least two eggs. Get one big enough to handle your largest parties and one small enough to handle dinner for your family during the week. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I bought xl last weekend. Been complementing on getting medium to go with my large.  But then decided to go for xl. I was able to support my decision to buy xl. 

Anyway go with one egg for now. You will know when it's time to get another.   I've waited two years and half before I knew I wanted another one. 

Its like owning a tool.  You stay with basic.  You will know when you need another tool when time comes. 

As for gasser.  True that. I stopped using it shortly after I got my egg. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Kelso
    Options
    Well, I thought I'd check back in and give an update. I did go with the XL and a MiniMax, and my kitchen is nearing completion. It is far enough along that we will be cooking on the Egg for the first time tonight...pizza. My 5 year old is excited about it so we are going to let him build his pizza, and the wife and I will do ours.

next weekend I plan on doing a low and slow on a Boston butt for some pulled pork sandwiches.  I'll likely be here reading all I can over this weekend in preparation.  

And here is my setup:

XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • Kelso
    Options
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nice

Who was your contractor? Where did you purchase your gasser and fridge, etc.?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Kelso
    Options
    We used a commercial contractor, Gambit Construction out of the Houston area.  They really don't do residential, but they went above and beyond for us, and we are grateful.

I purchased all of my stainless components from Woodland Direct.  We ended up with higher end grill/fridge than originally planned, but the doors and drawers were cheaper so all in all we came out several hundred dollars cheaper than originally thought.  They have a website. 
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas