Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Owner

Options
Hi All, 
Large Egg arrived today- hubby said I can EGGcessorize on payday. What are the must haves? We want the usual hamburgers, steaks, ribs-- but I want to try pizzas and fish.
Any less fun but necessaries that didn't come with the basic set up that I should have?

Thanks- pretty excited to get grillin.'

Comments

• Master_of_meat
    Options
    Grate grabber, plate setter, and ash tool are a must IMO. I would like to have a bunch of stuff but those three were a must have when I purchased mine. Also you will need a beer bottle opener close by!!!
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Instant read thermometer is a must if you don't already have one. This single item changed the outcome of my food more than anything ever has. 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    And welcome! Great site with great people and some amazing cooks. The knowledge is endless no matter the subject.
    Snellville, GA

• Amlucy2
    Amlucy2 Posts: 20
    Options
    Welcome! We just got ours last week and I cann't get enough of it! This site has been so helpful. We purchased the items mentioned above and they are must haves. I also purchased a pizza stone.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Welcome, second the food thermometer, the ash tool, & the plate setter...beyond that, I'm a huge fan of my cast iron grates!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I agree with the Instant Read Thermometer, mine has improved my finished product as much as the XL I got. Get a Pizza Stone - BGE make eggellent Pizza.
    Big heavy duty Welding gloves and something near by to place really hot stuff on.  I use a heat gun to start my egg (many opinions on how to start an Egg) I have electric close to my egg, they Start the Lump very quickly. 

Welcome and can't wait to see the photos from your first cook (we really like to see photos).
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!  Instead of a plate setter, take a look at the Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store.  It's much more versatile.  I agree with everything else mentioned so far.  Good luck and have fun!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Speaking from my own experience, the single MUST HAVE item is a good quality instant read thermometer.  My wife bought one from the salesman back when she surprised me with the egg for father's day many years ago, but it was 2 pronged and the prongs were so large they left big holes in the meat.  I bought a thermapen during their cyber sale a couple years back and it is FANTASTIC.  As far as other items, personally I would wait and get some experience and then different items might make more sense.  My wife bought me some other things that I never use to this day, but I would like an adjustable rig from CGS one day.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    also, go into your profile and in the signature line add your location and what egg you have, etc
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Your dealer should have sent you home with lump, ash tool and grate gripper, Fire Starter cubes ( you can get other options later) and, IMO, a Platesetter. 

Platesetter

Means for a raised grate PSWoo2 OR 3 Firebricks OR Adjustable Rig

Pizza Stone

Good instant or relatively instant thermometer. I use a Thermopop. 

Go less than more initially. You can spend on stuff you won't use much. 

Beware the BGE branded stuff i.e. Beer Can Chicken thing. 

As you get better and learn more, you'll want to but more. But take it as it comes. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Thermapen, welding gloves, kick ash basket, and smokeware cap.  Skip the plate setter and look at an adjustable rig from ceramic grill store.  A 12" cast iron skillet, 14" lodge pizza pan, and a 5 quart dutch oven will round out the list for me.

Congrats on the egg, and welcome.

Phoenix 
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    Welcome!  Your list of must have accessories will become a moving target. But it's such good fun.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Plate Setter, PSWoo2 are your two most important IMO.... Plate Setter for indirect cooks, and the PSWoo2 to raise your grate from the fire.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• goodegg519
    Options
    New Egg here- the smokeware cap? I've read about it- what are the advantages? By the way, what an awesome community to provide such great advice. You folks are the best! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    About all you need to take advantage of the range of cooking methods are a means to go indirect and raised direct along with the standard height cook.  Also, a good instant read thermo is the way to nail the finish temp as above.  Rather than jump into the deep end with accessories, I would go slowly and figure out what works over time.  You can go indirect and raised direct with a couple of fire bricks and another weber grate for starters.  FWIW-
    And here's a recent thread that may provide additional insights:
    Newbie!!!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome!  You gonna have fun........ And spend your money!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va