Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ETA @ 250F-275F 11lb butt?

Options
I volunteered to BBQ for BBQ day at my daughters daycare this Friday 7/15 @ 6pm and wanted to get an idea how long this butt would take if i threw it on over night or in the morning. Another problem i have is i work until 4:30pm and didnt know if i could FTC and then pull the meat a few hours later or if i have to pull it and then keep it in a container until we serve it.
Austin, Tx
BUTT.jpg 172.9K

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I take it you work from home if you are going to cook it tomorrow?  At 250 to 275 it is going to take at least a pound and hour.  I have FTC's a Brisket for over 6 hours and it was still hot.  If you are at home for work I and want sleep I would do a turbo cook at 300 to 350 and get it on early like 7 am.  I have done 9 pound ones in 6 hours before going turbo and the flavor has still great.  I think you would be ok cooking it this evening into to tomorrow L&S, FTCing it and pulling before you eat.  If you do that just make sure to check the temp a few hours before the dinner and if you need to heat it back up a little.  

Another thing I like to do now is pork burnt ends.  I take the pork butt to 170, let it rest for about 20 minutes, cut into cubes, place in a foil pan, add sauce of choice and put back on the egg for a few more hours.  Still it about every 30 minutes.  This is easier and has been a hit every time I do it.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Last one I cooked was a FlameBoss controlled 300*. Was a 5 pound boneless.  45 minutes a pound. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can definitely FTC and pull the meat a few hours later no problem.  This is kind of a tough one since you have to work until 4:30 and then transport it you have a pretty small window to hit.  I think I would probably get up early and put it on and cook a little hotter.  I would try to get it on by 6 AM and stabilize my egg at 275 before I left.  My large egg always tends to creep up over time so I suspect it would settle around 300.  When you get home at 4:30 if it is not there yet I would wrap in foil and crank the heat up to 350-375 to push it over the finish line.  

Another option would be to cook it tonight and pull it in the morning and refrigerate, then reheat it on site if you have something available.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    me and my partner cook butts on a regular basis for clients.....we almost always let the fire run between 275-300 and we buy butts that are between 9 and 10 pounds.

those butts almost always finish on average in about 5.5 hours.  I've seen a few go on and need 6 to 6.5 hours but most of the time we plan on 5.5 and it works out.

we've held them for 3-4 hours with no issues as well.

so with all that said I think you could do a 11 pound butt in the temp range I mention above in about 6-7 hours.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I don't fully understand the question. :0  Have you got a remote controller/monitor?  Will you be at home during the day?  

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    @Ladeback69 @dldawes1 Long story short that is another dilemma. I can cook it overnight and then head to work after i FTC or haul it to work in my little food truck and monitor it while working on my breaks and lunch. Employer wouldnt mind me letting it cook outside the building in the parking lot. Then i can pull or cook while i work and have it ready closer to the time i get off. I dont have any wireless monitors or Guru like other fancy people(wish i did though!).
    Austin, Tx
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    You do not need wireless monitors/controllers (just don't ever let SWMBO know that). They are a convenience!!!  They conveniently help you sleep more peacefully while cooking...if you do not have confidence in your egg....or if you use a lump besides Rockwood !!!!!!!!.  And....they conveniently let you know where you are in the cook while away from the egg.

FTC should be good for up to ~6 hrs...and may need reheating then???  Hard to tell. Up to 4-5 hrs FTC no reheating needed in my experience...I usually have several butts in the cooler FTC'ing at one time...this could keep them hot longer.

Maybe this info and the info above can help you decide what to do.

Keep asking if you're not satisfied with enough information.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    @Ladeback69 @dldawes1 Long story short that is another dilemma. I can cook it overnight and then head to work after i FTC or haul it to work in my little food truck and monitor it while working on my breaks and lunch. Employer wouldnt mind me letting it cook outside the building in the parking lot. Then i can pull or cook while i work and have it ready closer to the time i get off. I dont have any wireless monitors or Guru like other fancy people(wish i did though!).
    Like @dldawes1, says you don't need a pit controler, I don't have one.  I do have a wireless monitor I got for $70 bucks on Amazon and use it so I can sleep better or be inside doing other things and still keep an eye on my cook temps.  
    Taking it to work sounds like fun as long as someone won't come along take it for a ride.  I bet your coworkers would like seeing and smelling the process.  Are you going to use your MM  for the cook?  If so make sure the PB will fit with room for smoke to get all around it.
    There are many ways to go, you just need to decide which is best for you.  

If cooking over night without a wireless temp monitor just make sure if rain is in the forecast that you have some way to keep the rain off of it.  That was one of my issues one time on a night cook, other then that I have set it, made sure it was all good after an hour and gone to bed to wake up to a nice smell and no problems.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Just went on at 7pm central time. Barely fit.
    Austin, Tx
  • bgeaddikt
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Came off around 7am @ 207 IT. Took about 12 hours. Had to refill lump towards the end. Apple chips used for the smoke. A little bit of salt, pepper, and chupacabra rub. FTE(foil, Towel, Egg) until this afternoon, might fire up the egg and apply BBQ sauce and then pull before serving
    Austin, Tx
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Looks beautiful!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,543
    Options
    Mighty fine job there!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Looks Great!!
    Lenoir, N.C.