Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast Pointers

Options
Folks - am going to cook up a nice 6lb standing rib roast this weekend and have a fair idea of what I am going to do but need some perspectives from those who have egged up a prime rib before. Appreciate all comments:

1/ Smoke or no smoke - am leaning towards a kiss of a light applewood or cherrywood smoke (maybe just one chunk). Thoughts ?

2/ Drip pan - I want a super nice crust so am not convinced I want liquid in the pan. Maybe a small amount of stock and herbs that will evaporate by the time the second half of the cook is done ? Thoughts ?

3/ Sear or reverse sear - I'm almost certain I am going to reverse sear. Planning to cook with the rib hinged so I can then easily remove the bones and sear all sides (almost certainly will cook with bones tied on for flavor and even heat conduction but if anyone is mortally offended speak now). Figuring pull at 120 and then sear for a solid medium rare throughout. Thoughts ? 

Let me me know folks, appreciate the input 

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Smoke - just a little would be good
    no need for liquid in the drip pan
    reverse sear is good.  Or you can even pull it, crank the temp to 450, and continue indirect another 15 min or so until you have the crust you like. I've done both with good results. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I dry mine a few days at least and skow roast at 225-250. 

Gives me a great brown crust. 

Liquids in a drip pan don't add flavor to the meat, despite out best hopes and much bbq tradition.  I think you can leave it out and maximize crust. 

I leave the ribs on. Slice them off when serving then cut the boned roast into slices. 

Oak is good with beef, but rustic. A subtler fruit wood like you are suggesting is really pretty nice too. 

Unwrap the thing now and let it dry as long as possible. The fat and flesh will brown, and that's what a sear tries to do the hard way. 

Mine is "lazy man's rib roast"
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jfine1
    jfine1 Posts: 87
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw you dry in fridge on a rimmed baking sheet for example ? 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yep
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    Here's a great link for a low&slow rib roast cooks:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html  Give it a look.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Be prepared for a decent amount of carryover cooking, especially if you sear it. I pulled mine at about 125, and it was on the medium side when we ate it. I covered in foil for about 15 minutes, so that may have contributed as well.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Be prepared for a decent amount of carryover cooking, especially if you sear it. I pulled mine at about 125, and it was on the medium side when we ate it. I covered in foil for about 15 minutes, so that may have contributed as well.
    Another reason for the traditional slow roast. Low carryover. 

I vote to stay with he original reverse sear plan. And then next time try slow roasting as a conparison

• Legally Blind Egghead
    Options

I vote for slow roast all the way, "lazy style" as it seems to be more tender for some reason.

If you plan a reverse sear, I'd pull at 110-115 if you want medium rare, as  after sear when you rest under foil it will continue to cook.  Besides you can always put it on longer to roast if needed or what I do is individually slice  and place a slab on the grill to meet their desired doneness.

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I prefer the low and slow / reverse sear. I'll cook at 250 with some wood smoke to an IT of 110 to115, pull / tent the roast until I get the Egg set for 500 direct. 

Sear for a minute and change a side and let it rest before carving. 

I get a perfect medium rare end to end doing this. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I agree with Darby that you should go with the reverse sear and then try to lower temp on your next one. You'll figure out which way you like best. My preferred method is lower temp with no sear and I have still gotten a nice crust. I don't care for smoke with prime rib, but I'm probably in the minority on that. No liquid in the drip pan.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    jfine1 said:
     I want a super nice crust so am not convinced I want liquid in the pan. 
    Here's my Christmas Day recap for a low and slow reverse sear.  

Meat was delicious.  But I  wanted more crunchy-crunchies on the crust than I got.    I think I needed a rub with more crunchy-crunchies in it.

What are crunchy-crunchies? 

I don't know.  But when our local HEB dept store gave out samples of their standing rib roast recipe cooked, the crust was more interesting.

• jfine1
    Options
    Thanks all for the thoughts and tips - much appreciated ! Will let you all know how it turns out !
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I agree with Darby that you should go with the reverse sear and then try to lower temp on your next one. You'll figure out which way you like best. My preferred method is lower temp with no sear and I have still gotten a nice crust. I don't care for smoke with prime rib, but I'm probably in the minority on that. No liquid in the drip pan.

The ones I have done I not done a reverse sear, I put it on at 250 to 275 indirect and take to 130-135 tent with foil to rest while I cook other things.  I slice the rib bones off and put them back on to get a little more tender and slice the rib roast to what people want.  Luckily no one wanted medium well.  I do have some friends that want meat that way and I try not to do a rib roast or steak for them.  It has come out very good when I do it this way.   
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jfine1
    Options
    I agree ! If folks want anything beyond medium then I will get them a piece of shoe leather out of the freezer rather than ruin a piece of prime rib or steak !!
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I always cook to medium rare. If someone wants a piece more done, I'll swim it in hot au jus before serving. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS