Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oven to Grill Possibility?

Options
So I had planned on egging about 20 lbs of butt before a monsoon his last night and has been going strong on and off as of this morning around 8. I put the butt's in the oven @ 250 for about 11 hours, pulled them out and foiled at 200. There is no bark whatsoever, and it tastes just like rub. So my question is this: Is it possible for me to throw these back on the grill with the foil to get some of the eggy flavor in the meat, or will they just fall apart? 

The other option that I was thinking about was pulling and slicing tonight, and adding my home brewed sauce to the meat to give it a little better flavor. Appreciate any and all help and suggestions on this rain soaked Independence Day.

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Fire up the egg and throw them on direct 300 w/smoking chips for 30 minutes or so. Since meat only accepts smoke for the first 2-3 hrs, this will just help caramelize those sugars and give you a bit of a bark and will impart a bit of smoke flavor. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Yes you can put meat in egg. no foil if putting back in the egg. I think your sauce idea sounds good. you can still get some smokey flavor on that bad boy!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have been in panic mode for an hour thinking, "I can't serve junk to my guests!" I have them in my cooler right now, so they can stay there for I think 4 hours? Then I will just transfer to the oven before transferring to the grill. It isn't a yeti, but 4 hours should still be ok right? 

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have been in panic mode for an hour thinking, "I can't serve junk to my guests!" I have them in my cooler right now, so they can stay there for I think 4 hours? Then I will just transfer to the oven before transferring to the grill. It isn't a yeti, but 4 hours should still be ok right? 
    If you foil, towel, and cooler you can get 6-8 hours no problem 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    The meat will still 'accept' smoke now. Go ahead and smoke it if that's the flavor you are missing

meat takes smoke at any time any temp
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]