Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat Cap on Pork Butt

Options
Does anyone cut off the fat cap on a pork butt?  If you leave i on do you cook it with fat cap up?

Thanks.
__________ Chris

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Cap down, it will stick to the grid and not your meat.  If you want more bark, trim it off.  

Dont let let the idea fool ya, the fat on the cap will not render down and enter the inside of the meat keeping it moist.  It will just roll off the outside and into the drip pan.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I cut it off and put that side down. There is plenty enough fat throughout the meat to keep it moist.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @RedSkip is correct.  I go fat cap down and most the times it sticks to grate and it will not render out.  Don't bother wasting Rubin it either, the flavor won't get through the fat.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Thx. I trimmed it and rubbed it.
    __________ Chris
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Trim it off.... Doubles your bark
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I need another coctail if we're really gonna do the whole fat cap up or down thing. 

Jk.  I'm in the tri. It and double the bark camp.  Save and freeze all your trimmings until you've done 10 or so.  Then render the fat - good for lots of things.

Phoenix