Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone got a good cedar plank salmon recipe they enjoy?

Options
bhedges1987
bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
Never attempted planked salmon or any salmon for that matter. Figure I'll go raised direct on the plank at like 400 until it reads 135ish? Recommended 145 though...

I know there are plenty of recipes online that I've looked at.  But things taste different in an egg I feel. Looking for something that a fellow egger recommends. 

Looking for anything not too complicated that someone recommends. I like a basic grilled flavor salmon, nothing too sugary or sweet. 

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Renaud
    Renaud Posts: 11
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just made some this weekend. I use Alder planks, but if you prefer Cedar, no difference other than taste. I soak my planks, then place them on the 400° Egg grate for about 5 minutes. I pull them and turn over and coat with olive oil and place salmon skin side down. I rub my Salmon using Lanes BBQ's Q Nami rub. And place in a plastic bag overnight. Place plank and salmon on 400° until 130°, then I add my glaze. Usually a teriyaki sauce or real maple syrup. Oh, I also plank lemon slices. Cook until 140° and done. Cook time is about 15-20 min. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/raging-river-maplebutter-crusted-salmon/

I have done this one on a plank and it was excellent. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a couple. The first one is really easy but delivers wonderful delicate flavors. I use Alder planks soaked for a couple hours. Slather the salmon with olive oil and then sprinkle on a mixture of orange, lemon, and lime zest with cracked pepper, kosher salt, and some spanish smoked paprika. I call it citrus savory rub. slice some oranges and lemons and lay them on top of the salmon along with some fresh dill weed. The second one is honey mustard salmon. really very easy as well just mix up some honey and spicy brown mustard to taste. We like a little more mustard than honey. spread it on the salmon pop it on the plank and your good to go. I use a thermapen and pull the salmon at 120-125 depending on the thickness of the fillet. I know the USDA lists 140 but man that delivers dry salmon. check on the net on some cooking blogs and American test kitchen and you'l see lower temps. Both are excellent and family favorites. usually about 15 to 20 minutes at 350  raised direct. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Cover in EVOO, then sprinkle on salt, pepper and fresh dill if you want a basic flavor profile. Some people will say to preheat the plank after soaking on the grill for 5-10 minutes. I've tried it and didn't taste a difference. I have never measured IT, it is done when it starts oozing white "goo."
    Las Vegas, NV

• Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    Great responses!  Question:  do any of you use a smoking wood along with the lump?  Or is that too strong and overpowers the salmon?  If so, what wood??
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Soak the cedar or alder in white wine 30-45 min lay salmon skin side down  put  an oz or 2 of Kahlua on top then sprinkle with turbindo slightly.  Cook @ 350-400 direct 'til the litle white somethings appear.  Nice and SWEET if you like sweet.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I generously sprinkle any un-skinned sides with Adams Reserve Jamaican Jerk Rub put back in fridge for 15 min.  Occasionally the Mrs will have me put a glaze on her piece during the cook but I prefer without.

I cook indirect at 400 for 12-15 min.  Watching for color and amount of albumin released to determine when finished.

Lessons learned about the planks-
    -The store bought planks are good for two pieces of Salmon- but I usually cut them in half so I can cook pieces individually.  This is good when only cooking 1 piece for my fish only DD, when the rest of us are eating something else.
    - If they are well protected from direct heat even well soaked they will char so keep over plate setter.  Another reason to reduce size so its not taking up most of the grate.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Abter said:
    Great responses!  Question:  do any of you use a smoking wood along with the lump?  Or is that too strong and overpowers the salmon?  If so, what wood?
    IMO, the smoke from the charred plank is plenty enough. The bottom of your plank will char and the plank sometimes arches up with the heat. (if you use any type of a glaze you have to watch for this because the arched plank will allow the glaze to easily run off the edges and flame up) Salmon is a delicate flavor and you can over power it with smoke easily. Of course I prefer my smoked salmon lightly smoked. I don't really favor the after taste with fish. I like my fish with a nice light flavor that brings out the natural essence of the fish. 
  • Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    I always use soaked cedar planks then I coat the salmon with Dijon mustard and sprinkle brown sugar on top. This is simple and has always turned out tasty for me.
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I always use Dizzy Pigs Raging River.  A must for salmon in my book.  Never thought of soaking the planks in white wine though.  I'll have to try that.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Abter said:
    Great responses!  Question:  do any of you use a smoking wood along with the lump?  Or is that too strong and overpowers the salmon?  If so, what wood??
    the plank is the smoking wood. it is a direct cook.

the idea is, being cedar, too much smoke would be resinous or piney (it's a soft wood).  so you soak it to delay smoking, in order for the fish to be cooked a good amount before the smoke kicks in.

why cedar, if it is a soft wood?  well, because it is a traditional wood in the northwest, where salmon are found too.  one way salmon was cooked was to lay it on a plank of a common wood (and cedar abounds there) facing (or near) the fire.  the wood was a cooking vessel.  but the smoke became something people liked. 

despite much warning to the contrary, soft and/or evergreen woods are not uncommon for smoking.  but they tend to be regional.

black forest hams for example should be smoked heavily with fresh juniper branches. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I can't remember who I got this recipe from, but it is delicious. I use Raging River rub.

Cedar Plank Salmon

Use salt and pepper or dry rub of your choice. I like to add thinly sliced lemon on top while cooking. Serving size is about 3 ounces. Leave skin on while cooking as that's where the flavor and healthy omega d comes from. When serving, use the spatula to pick up the meat while leaving the skin on the plank.

Equipment: 2 cedar planks
    Instructions
    Set the EGG for direct cooking.
    Preheat the EGG to 400°F/204°C.

Place the cedar planks in a pan, cover with water, and let soak for 1 hour.

Place the cedar planks on the grid, close the lid of the EGG, and preheat for 3 minutes. 

Open the lid and turn the planks over, brush them with the olive oil, and place 2 salmon fillets on each plank. Season the salmon. Close the lid of the EGG. 

Cook the salmon for 12 to 15 minutes for medium.

Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2016
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    I can't remember who I got this recipe from, but it is delicious. I use Raging River rub.

Cedar Plank Salmon

Use salt and pepper or dry rub of your choice. I like to add thinly sliced lemon on top while cooking. Serving size is about 3 ounces. Leave skin on while cooking as that's where the flavor and healthy omega d comes from. When serving, use the spatula to pick up the meat while leaving the skin on the plank.

Equipment: 2 cedar planks
    Instructions
    Set the EGG for direct cooking.
    Preheat the EGG to 400°F/204°C.

Place the cedar planks in a pan, cover with water, and let soak for 1 hour.

Place the cedar planks on the grid, close the lid of the EGG, and preheat for 3 minutes. 

Open the lid and turn the planks over, brush them with the olive oil, and place 2 salmon fillets on each plank. Season the salmon. Close the lid of the EGG. 

Cook the salmon for 12 to 15 minutes for medium.

Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

I think the recipe is out of the BGE cookbook, and this is exactly how I cook my planked salmon. I use DP Raging River for the seasoning. I go about 14 minutes and look for the fat bubbles on the surface of the fish - done! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So easy my dog can do it (and I don't even have a dog). Soak plank, oil all sides of fish, season with lemon pepper seasoning, egg at 400-450. 20-25 minutes depending on thickness. 135 done.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Abter said:

the idea is, being cedar, too much smoke would be resinous or piney (it's a soft wood).  so you soak it to delay smoking, in order for the fish to be cooked a good amount before the smoke kicks in.

it's pretty easy to control the amount of cedar that's smoking by adjusting your vents.  at some temperature the wood will start to combust too much and your salmon will taste like turpentine.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • crumley11
    crumley11 Posts: 3
    Options
    Super easy and amazing.  Cover salmon with olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper.  Place skin side down on 5 hour soaked cedar plank.  Cook at 400 in BGE for 12 minutes, no longer.  By the time you eat 10 minutes later, the salmon will have come up to perfection.  Enjoy!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Abter said:

it's pretty easy to control the amount of cedar that's smoking by adjusting your vents.  at some temperature the wood will start to combust too much and your salmon will taste like turpentine.
    I'm talking about the basic idea regardless of the cooker
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    simple fresh dill compound butter with a touch of lemon 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I do mine on a 3 hour soaked cedar plank, brushed with a mixture of Apricot preserves and horseradish. Usually 3 tablespoons preserves to one tablespoon horseradish. EZ and Good. 350 indirect until the top of meat starts turning white and splitting. Maybe 15 minutes, tops. Egg is usually heat soaked tho, like a 30 minute warm-up. Never a complaint or left-overs. 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Thanks for the help all.

Paired with shrimp and cauliflower mashed.  I think 145 got my salmon a little too dry for me. Next time I may try 140. It was still tasty and good for my first salmon attempt. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Options
    Nicely done,  love salmon on the Egg
  • Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Options
    Nicely done, love salmon on the Egg 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Nicely done, love salmon on the Egg 
    Thanks, I'm gonna do it again. Difference in taste between wild caught and farm raised? Mine tonight was wild caught and it didn't have much of a fishy flavor which I liked. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• crumley11
    crumley11 Posts: 3
    Options
    Wild is so much better than farm raised.  Never fishy.  Sockeye Salmon is even better if you get a chance!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You obviously have this.  My worthless 2 cents:  wild caught salmon is the most important ingredient.  Alder wood is my first choice but cedar works fine.  Soak the wood, preferably in wine but water works.  Salt and pepper, and then your preference.  I like thyme and lemon, pretty classic, choose what you like.
    Raised direct at 400 and usually goes 15-20' depending on the thickness of the filets.  Love fish on the egg!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga