Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT questions....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm an ABT rookie, only cooked them twice but:
1. Do you split the pepper in halve or just cut one side and open them like a book to remove the spines and seeds?
2. Do you always use cream cheese. I'm not a huge cream cheese fan so I tried to used shredded cheese and of course, it melted out.
3. Do you grill the ABT's on all sides or just the top and bottom so the cheese won't run out.
I cooked 24 for appertizers and everyone loved them, I want to get better. Thanks.

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    LandDawg,
    Here's my take on these. Cheese of your choice shouldn't melt out if you follow these suggestions ;[p]This is the most basic version of the famous ABT’s. Several people asked me about the ABT’s I prepared at the Florida fest, so I’ll tell you how I do these and offer a few hints.[p]Ingredients :[p]• 12 Jalapenos - fresh (3-3.5 inches each)
    • 1-8 ounce pack of cream cheese
    • 12 oz. bacon (regular sliced-NOT thick sliced)
    • 1 pack smoked cocktail wieners (Lil' Smokeys)
    • Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub[p]Preparation :
    • Wash, remove stems and halve jalapenos lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. If the jalapenos are pretty fresh. you can pull the stems off fairly easy. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).[p]Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, then top with a cocktail wiener. Put the two halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure the loose end of the bacon with a toothpick.
    Sprinkle a liberal amount of DP Red Eye Express rub all over the surface of the bacon. Place ABT's on a rack over a drip pan.[p]Cooking Directions:
    • Stabilize BGE at 350 degrees. Place drip pan and rack of ABT's on a raised grid and cook for about 40 minutes. Turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.[p]Optional : add apple, oak or hickory chunks to fire before placing ABT's in the egg. (I don’t consider this to be an option, but rather mandatory. These can take a good bit of smoke, so 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks isn’t too much).[p]Hints :[p]First, getting the right size jalapeno is important. You want it long enough for the smokey to fit but not too long so you don't get a piece of the smokey in all pieces you cut. I cut mine in 3 pieces which makes good size finger snacks.
    Second, use only the thin cut bacon. I get the cheapest bacon I can find for these.
    Third, I wrap the bacon starting from the pointed end of the jalapeno. Lay the bacon on the starting point and stick a toothpick in just enough to hold the bacon (not all the way through). Wrap the bacon around the entire jalapeno without overlapping too much. If you get to the end and you have excess bacon, it's best to cut it off so you don't have overlapping. Stick a second toothpick all the way through the jalapeno at the end point. Now, stick the first toothpick (at the starting point) all the way through as well. Stick a third toothpick all the way through at the center of the jalapeno. This third toothpick is important not just for a handle but it holds the smoky in place while you cut the ABT into thirds.
    Fourth, I put the DP Red Eye Express on as heavy as I possibly can. Cover the entire thing with as much as it will hold. I sprinkle this on over a paper towel laid flat, and, when I'm done I funnel the unused rub back into the jar. It goes much faster this way as opposed to trying to be real neat.
    Lastly, I've found that a teaspoon works best to remove the seeds and veins from the jalapenos.
    I'd advise you to use a drip pan so the bacon drippings don't go onto the coals. This creates a lot of foul-smelling smoke that will adversely affect the taste of the ABT's. [p]This is a lot of words, but it's really pretty simple. I've made hundreds and hundreds of these using this method. I’ve tried different rubs as well, but I believe the Red Eye Express is the perfect “fit” for these sensational snacks.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    LandDawg,
    i cut them in half and just use half for an abt when making them for a crowd.much faster this way. if making them for myself, i only cut one side. i cook them direct, and inderect, on a raised grate and dont flip them. the higher in the dome, the better the top will cook. for speed, keep your gloves wet and the cream cheese wont stick to them ( i mix cream cheese and grated cheese). i stretch thin bacon and then wrap the abt, no toothpicks needed. the goal is to get a system going to get the speed up or they just take to long to prepare.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    LandDawg,
    1. I think you'll find this a matter of individual preference. Personally, I split them in two, so each jalapeno makes 2 servings.[p]2. The cream cheese acts like a binder to hold the filling together. You could substitute mascarpone if you wanted, or even cottage cheese pressed through a sieve.[p]3. Once the jalapeno is placed I don't move them, much less attempt to turn them. I've found it easiest to assemble each batch of a "grill topper" (expanded aluminum "platter" from Wal-Mart) in the kitchen, and place the jalapenos as close together as possible.[p]*. The tip I'm proudest of is parboil the bacon before you wrap the jalapenos. This partial cooking ensures that the bacon will be done by the time the pepper is soft.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    LandDawg,
    I use half a pepper and half a slice of the thinnest bacon I can find for each one. I haven't tried alternatives to cream cheese but do flavor that with seasonings from time to time. Like fishlessman, I find that if I stretch the bacon as I wrap it, there is no need for a toothpick. Now, unlike the others, I like to flip my ABTs for a few minutes near the end of the cook. Yes, there are casualties but it's usually just a bit of cream cheese that drops out.[p]Paul

• Unknown
    Options
    LandDawg,[p]You have received advice from some of the best of the board but I wanted to add my 2 cents. First, I cut the stems off and use a small paring knife to clean out the peppers. A simple wash under cool water will help also if you want to mellow the heat factor soak a few in Milk for 10 to 20 minutes. I then chop whatever meat (used Cilantro lime shrimp last weekend) I am going to stuff into the ABT and mix well with soften cream cheese. If you have a cake decorator you can use this to stuff the peppers but I don’t so I use a zip-lock bag with non-stick spray and cut a small hole in the corner. I then wrap the bacon around the peppers and use a toothpick to secure it all. I add one good size chunk of Guava Wood and cook @ 300-325 indirect until the bacon is done. I vary the type and amount of rub I use depending on who I am cooking for. IMHO you can’t beat any of the Dizzy Pigs rubs.[p]Luke “Lazydog” Salazar[p]

• Eggcitable Boy
    Options
    LandDawg,[p]I like to carefully pick the stems off the jalapenos, instead of cutting them off. It keeps the main end intact and eliminates any worry about having the cheese drizzle out from cutting too close to the end. I am also keen on keeping the jalapenos whole, and introducing one main slit; then carefully 'pithing' out the seeds and veins, kind of like an old plastic coin purse, if you will. Try using prosciutto (Italian ham) to wrap the ABT instead of bacon. Have your deli butcher slice up some sandwich thin slices of it, then use a slice to wrap up after stuffing with your cheese of choice. Just a bit different than the tradional bacon..............Eggcitable Boy