Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Before there were daisy wheels and smokeware caps, there were these.

Options
My egg is old.  I'd really like to get a smokeware chimney cap for it, but I don't think this old top will come off...ever.  Anybody got any ideas on that?  How about the bottom vent - Is that replaceable?  Going to rust off soon...
When I got this Egg there were no dealers around, you had to purchase and order charcoal, gadgets, etc. from the old Egg store in Atlanta.  BGE has come a long way...
2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    warrantee it lol....
  • DRoberts908
    Options
    Vintage!!!  Love it!
    Carrollton, Kentucky
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    What is the story on why they discontinued them?
  • jvencius
    jvencius Posts: 19
    Options
    If you have a steady hand with a grinder, a cutoff wheel would deal with that cap in short order...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    That vent cap is still a $10 alternative to a SmokeWare and people still use them. Not sure why you say it is so rusted it won't come off. As for the old black steel vent plate your dealer should be able to fix you up cheap with a the new SS vent which now comes with the screen spark arrestor. You just need to remove the guts to get to the 4 nuts inside holding your old vent on. Hopefully the nuts and bolts are stainless which I bet they are. Good luck on the rehab! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    @RRP - vent cap won't budge - it hasn't been removed in a decade or more.  They still sell those things?   Maybe i'm not calling it by the correct name - I'm referring to the black "top".  The "roof vent" works great - just ugly.  I will see if I can order a new SS bottom draft door/vent, but I'm thinking the bolt openings won't line up...in which case, just drill new holes through the egg?  Yikes...
    @jvencius - My husband not the "handyman" type...'nuff said about that.  LOL
    For now I'll just keep eggin' along ...It all still works!  Just trying to fix the old thing up.  
    Here's tonight's dinner.  Turbo ribs and they were fantastic.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I would encourage you to take changes slowly and carefully. Work with your dealer--take measurements and remember--if it's working well for you, progress is not always better. I would tackle the bottom first. Before removal, measure the new stainless holes. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing unless I had to. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • RRP
    Options
    Now I understand - yes that style of cap is old, and was replaced years and years ago with an adjustable one whereby it has a further vent wheel to finesse a temperature its you wish. Just go to your dealer and I bet you can walk out with a new "daisy" wheel - they will know what you mean. As for the holes in the bottom vent - DON'T drill the ceramic if need be - drill the metal itself!, but I bet you won't have to.

By the appearance of both your new gaskets plus your newer dome thermometer my gut feeling is you know where your dealer is anyway! 
  • BBQBuddy
    Options
    Ha!  I have replaced the gasket a few times in 23 years!  LOL
    Yep, I know where my dealer is and he knows my MasterCard number!

• RRP
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Ha!  I have replaced the gasket a few times in 23 years!  LOL

that's a shame...but never mind...
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I might have a vent door for you. I got my lower warrantied bit it's still in the box but I assume there will be a new draft door on it. If so, you can have my old one.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    BGE OG  B)
    Jacksonville FL
  • BBQBuddy
    Options
    @bigguy136 - Thanks!  Let me know if you've got that extra and I'll give you my address and send  you the postage.