Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last meal from the egg Sunday/ Last ride Monday

Options
I made the best decision of my life in Jan 2006 by bringing this homeless guy home with me from my mail route. I had been feeding him for over a year and finally drove back to the route after work one day and gave it a shot.

To say that I'm lost right now doesn't even begin to describe what I'm feeling.

We never exactly followed the "science diet" so needless to say he had ample portions of his favorite treats the past week. He loved chicken fingers, sausage biscuits, and anything off the egg. Lots of pork butt and steak for him this past week.

We we went out strong Sunday with a dinner of SNF tenderloin and St. Louis style ribs. He got his own fillet topped with rib meat. 

Thanks for for taking a look...

Wetumpka, Alabama
LBGE and MM

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Amazing cooks and generosity for our fellow man!  That's what "brother " means.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    He is the envy of doggie heaven right now.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    He looks like a good boy. I'm sorry for your loss. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.  Looks like you gave him an amazing 10yrs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    Im so sorry for your loss. As a fellow carrier, the dogs are often the best part of the day.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Geez - I read that whole thing thinking you brought home a homeless person and fed him...

Screen is blurry now, so sorry you lost your buddy. That last meal was a tremendous act of love and generosity, I'm sure he appreciated that.

Nice tribute to a great little friend.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Geez - I read that whole thing thinking you brought home a homeless person and fed him...

Screen is blurry now, so sorry you lost your buddy. That last meal was a tremendous act of love and generosity, I'm sure he appreciated that.

I thought the same until i scrolled down. Im sorry for your loss man. Mans best friend is truly the description of the bond and loyalty. May he RIP. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • DRoberts908
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.
    Carrollton, Kentucky
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I understand your sorrow having been through the same too many times. Good for you for taking him in and being his companion for those 10 years. You each were blessed. 

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    So sorry to hear - thats really tough.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wow.....Feeling your loss and all of your sadness. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    Any of us who have had a beloved pet/friend understand.  I remember my Freckles (gone for over 20 years) & still get tears.  Now I have tears for you. 

I'm so glad you found each other & that you were able to give him such wonderful treats this last week.  *hugs*
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    sorry for your loss

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Thanks for all the very kind words guys...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    DieselkW said:

Haha I just re-read my post and see where you got that from. I had hoped that his pic would have showed up first...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    May you be filled with joyful memories you justly deserve. Bless you. 
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I'm sorry you lost your friend. Sounds like he had a good last meal. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    That's the downside of dogs, they don't live long enough. I've had to put a couple of them down.  Most humane and hardest thing to do. I fixed a rack of beef ribs for my last dog's last dinner. He knew something was up since he only got  the bones before that. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Breaks my heart
    Carrollton, Va
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Someone once told me that "getting a dog is like adopting a kid you know you will outlive".  So heartbreaking to say goodbye.  Sorry for your loss.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    You did him right. So sorry for your loss...
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    The company of a good dog is a gift from God. You were blessed.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein