Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about charcoals from other brand

Options
Hello.

Where I live the Big Green Egg charcoal is very expensive.  I have been looking around and found Weber Charcoal (beech , birch and oak).  It's about 35% cheaper than the BGE charcoals.  So the question is, a) do I get the same quality and b) do they last as long as the BGE charcoals?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey...Now for your question; lump discussions/posts here become/are more divisive than politics or religion.  Since I have no experience with the weber brand I can't offer a comparison.  But I would give it a go just so you then can draw your own conclusions.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options

BGE is Royal Oak, nothing magic about it !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Check naked whiz.com
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    With 1 or 2 exceptions, every kind of lump I have tried was usable, more or less.  Some are better for long cooks than others. Some are less usable because they produce lots of ash. Some have lots of dust. Once in a great while, the lumps spark and pop too much. As @Jstroke said, check the Naked Whiz's lump database.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Having bought most available brands here in Florida over the last 10-12 years, Cowboy, Frontier, some Mexican brands,some made in South America, Texas mesquite, BGE when 4 bags were $50.00 at October fest in Atlanta (10 years ago), Kamado extruded coconut years ago, Royal Oak just got some @$9.95 /8kg from Wally world a few weeks back and then the same was in Home Depot for $2.50 apprx less a few weeks later. I have concluded that some spark more than others, some last a little longer than most, now I go for price and when available I buy near $.50-$.60/lb I get what I need, now have about 200-300 lbs ready for hurricane season. Try them as I have and go for what you like. I go for $$$$$$$$$$ saved.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome.

Rockwood is considered the gold standard.  Sometimes Royal Oak prices make it hard to justify Rockwood though.  BGE  brand is Royal Oak.  Many here stocked up last month during the Home Depot sale $7.88 per bag.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Welcome. That bag looks Scandinavian. Where are you from? You likely won't find any of our (USA) options available to you. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Birch wood used for charcoal? Would have never thought of that. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • gugguson
    gugguson Posts: 2
    Options
    Welcome. That bag looks Scandinavian. Where are you from? You likely won't find any of our (USA) options available to you. 
    I'm from Iceland, so there isn't much variation of lump charcoal.

As I'm a beginner I don't think I have much room for experimentation in charcoal brands because I'm just learning the heat control and I would know one brand from another.

Here is another brand I have found which is about 50% cheaper than BGE.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Stick with Rockwood and don't look back.  Focus on cooking after that.  Good luck. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    gugguson said:
    Hello.

Where I live the Big Green Egg charcoal is very expensive.  
    Haha, it's very expensive no matter where you live! 

I'm not familiar with either of the brands you mentioned. I doubt if anyone here is. I would just give whatever is available to you a try and see which you prefer.

There is a company here in the US that apparently ships internationally... http://www.firecraft.com . Among other lumps, they sell Rockwood, the current "darling" of this forum. Never tried it myself.

Their comment about shipping...

"International Orders (except Canada) require special processing. When you are entering an International Order, please complete all the necessary information. We will get a shipping quote from one of our International shippers. We will contact you with the final charges for approval. The order will not be shipped or charged unless it is confirmed by you. Please note: You will be responsible for any applicable taxes and/or duties that will need to be paid upon delivery."

Other places may ship to Iceland too, but I don't know offhand. Hope you find something you like.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited June 2016
    Options
    gugguson said:
    I'm from Iceland, so there isn't much variation of lump charcoal.

As I'm a beginner I don't think I have much room for experimentation in charcoal brands because I'm just learning the heat control and I would know one brand from another.

Here is another brand I have found which is about 50% cheaper than BGE.

I would buy a bag of everything that is available locally and see what you like best. You'll be able to tell.  There's no lump out there that's worth international shipping.  

Iceland is on the top of the list for vacation. Likely this year.