Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Was it simpler?

Options
Wasn't life so much simpler when we had party lines?
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Party lines?  I'm too young for that, but I know what they were.  

At least they couldn't update their facebook page while driving 60 miles an hour in traffic.
    Phoenix 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I just had an older coworker explain to me what party lines were.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I'm not all that old either....but remember those ole party lines.  Back then you really did "dial" a phone number.  Heck, I don't recall anyone getting carpel tunnel from repetitive motion back then. 

Wake up America!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Haha... the old guys were talking about that at work not long ago. Holy no privacy. Lol
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I'm a young-in, but I know all about party lines.

1-900-909-KISS .... $2.99 / minute.  Those were the days.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    We had party lines in Nebraska when I lived on a farm and was in third grade in a one room schoolhouse.  Walked about a mile and a half back and forth to school everyday. Heat was provided by a small coal stove.  Children took turns bringing in coal to stoke the fire.  We also took turns pumping water from the outside pump.   And, boys and girls each had a three-holer.   Very, very cold in the winter.   Imagine sitting outside in zero degree weather on a wooden bench.   On the other hand, the smell in the winter was much better in January than in the later days of May. Simpler days, yes.  Better?  Not in all respects.

On the plus side, we were not distracted by television and other electronic devices.  We played cards and other games (checkers & chess), painted by the number pictures of the "Man with the Golden Helm", carved Ivory soap polar bears, and read lots of books from the public library in town.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    Good ol days! Wait for the line to be open 
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Anybody ever have a four party where there was a different ring for each of the customers?
    Am I really this damn old?
    Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    We had a party line with the widow one street over. Had one phone, rotary, on the kitchen wall that we "leased" from the phone company. I think it was 3 dollars a month. Better not mess up the phone number or you had to dial and wait for each number to go all the way around again. Long distance was a serious issue. On the other hand like others mentioned. We spent more time with each other doing things together. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    People always complained about our phone number.  So many 9's on a rotary dial phone.  I remember the phone number to this day and we only had it until I was in 3rd grade.  669-9499.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Here I thought it was cocaine. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Life was even more simpler before Meucci invented the telephone ;)
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options

we had a party line, the nosy neighbor would always listen in to our conversations ( you could hear her making noises in the background ).

one day my sister called her an old witch, while talking to one of her friends, and she had the nerve to come to our house to complain to my parents.

my mom gave her an earful, I still laugh everytime I think about that

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i must have been further out in the sticks, i had a neighbor that used an old wooden crank wall phone to call his daughter, he was still using it in the 1980's =) and tv was free, cable was something you read about and who needed a remote control, thats what kids were for and they also got you beers =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I've only heard of them, never experineced them.  

However, I was about 14 or 15 at the time.  Got the brand new Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag (the first 12 ga. to use 3.5" mag shells).  I thought I was big stuff.  

It was New Years.  We shoot guns, bombs, and stuff then because we're rednecks.  

Get the new gun out, shove in max capacity of 3.5" turkey load, and off I go.  

Boom, boom, boom, boom.  Felt good, people were liking it.  

Next day phone rings.  I pick up and say "hello" and so does about three others.  We had a party line!  

Didn't think anything of it.  Called the phone company to get someone to fix it.  Guy was working right in front of our house.  So the friendly person we are we chat with him.  Guy says, "it looks like someone shot the phone lines".  

I said "really?" That's pretty crazy right there!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    We briefly had a party line. Made for a "cozy" neighborhood. Ooops, picked up at the wrong ring.

Long distance was confined to weekends after mid-night, to get a low enough rate so 1 call wasn't as much as the whole months usual bill.

Oh, and remember collect calls? The operator would ask you if you would accept. And the person on the other end could hear if you said yes or no, but still have enough time to blurt out a few words before disconnect.

Wait, is that the milk man coming down the street? If me and the guys run after the truck, maybe he'll give us some ice to lick on!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Ahhhh, the days of paying exorbitant rates for long distance and collect calls.  Seems not so long ago that cell phone calls were 0.35/min for EVERY minute.  Reality is that we paid more for what now seems like a simpler life.
  • driller2838
    Options
    @RajunCajun I don't know anything about party lines, but had to drop in for a Geaux Tigers!