Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sticky Cast Iron Skillet

Options
I've used my skillet probably two dozen times or so, mostly with smashed burgers and blackened catfish.   After each cook I try to wipe it down while warm, give it a small amount of oil, then toss it into a warm oven to let it dry completely.   Last night I followed the same approach, but the oven wasn't warm yet so I just tossed it in, bumped it to 400* and planned to turn it off after just a couple of minutes since all I was aiming for was a warm environment.

So about an hour or so later I remembered it was in there, but didn't think any big deal.   I pulled it out this morning and it's now very, very sticky.   Best way to remove that sticky film to just scrub with brush and water, lightly oil, and throw it back in?   I didn't think I added any more oil than I normally do but maybe I did.
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Melhill3
    Melhill3 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'd burn the stickiness off with a couple of hours in the oven at 450˚ there will be smoke but in the end you will have removed the sticky mess. I like to season with flax seed oil instead of corn / veg oil.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If it's sticky you left too much oil. I use Crisco or Avocado Oil (99% is Crisco or animal fat seasoned). Lightly coat and then wipe clean and in the oven. Less is more in this case. Here's a good explanation. 
    https://youtu.be/j6Tz3HnnCFs
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Too much oil
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Melhill3 said:
     I like to season with flax seed oil instead of corn / veg oil.

I'll respectfully offer a different opinion on flax seed.  I know it's all the buzz, but there is an equal amount of buzz that it flakes off and requires stripping the pans and starting over.  I've experimented with it, and will stick with lard.

@NPHuskerFL   Jeffery has some good vids.  In one of them he shows his collection - pretty cool.  I also watched his electrolysis vid, since I'm in the middle of putting a tank together.

@clemsontyger97 -  I would bake it at 3-400 degrees.  Once it heats up really good, give the pan a good wiping to get off any excess oil, and then put it back and keep baking.  Should be fine.
    Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    .....and as I always say, take good care of it.....and it will take good care of you.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    A friend of mine who is a professional chef drops his cast iron in the fryer for hours at a time.  It comes out beautiful.
    NOLA
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    NPHuskerFL, thanks for the informative video. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Use some coarse salt when scrubbing (no soap). Works like a charm.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    "Drops the cast iron in the dryer...." interesting idea.  Guess that would be hot enough, I just worry about the fire and smoking after putting it back on a burner and the seasoning on the bottom gets burning.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!