Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Butts

Options
IlliniEgger
IlliniEgger Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two butts in the freezer and they have been there for about 10 or 11 months. Two questions:[p]1. Are they still any good?
2. How can I thaw quickly to cook Sunday?[p]Thanks,
IlliniEgger

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    If they were in a heavy cyrowrap, they should be ok. Personally, I'd leave on the counter tonight till bed time, then put in the fridge. Do the same tomorrow evening. Or, leave on the counter overnight. May not be the "recommended" way of defrosting quickly but it hasn't killed me yet.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    Most likely still good. Immediately place them in frig. Make sure your lump is filled to the top of the fire box and maybe a little above. Fire everything up early Saturday morning. Put your rub on and do what ever else you do. start the cook as soon as you can. In the unlikely event it gets done prior to Sunday chow time. wrap in double aluminum foil several towels and place in an empty cooler until you are ready to eat. It does not matter if it is thaw when you start the cook. I have done them rock hard right out of the freezer. It will just extend cooking time.
    Your fine just drink a lot or watch TV or talk to us.
    If you got em smoke em,
    Elder Ward

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    IlliniEgger,
    Ditch 'em and start new. What the heck it's only $15 and why risk with stale pig?....but then I freeze nothing. Just my .02