Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
EggNorth
EggNorth Posts: 1,535
Haven't made pulled pork in a while, not sure why, but had a craving for it so here goes ...

For the last few butts, I've been loosely following Aaron Franklin's Pulled Pork method with great results.  I always like his simple way of doing things.

6.37 Kg (14 Lbs) Pork Shoulder is on.  Got the Egg at 250.  Dry drip pan below.

About 6 hours later it was at 160 and time to foil.  Interesting it stayed at 159 for about an hour, I was determined to make it to 160 so I waited.

About 4 hours later, it was about 197 and probed real nicely (plus I was hungry)

Ready to Eat with some home made BBQ sauce.   I just put some one the sandwich, don't care to mix it all up in BBQ sauce.  Will be eating these for the rest of the week, if there is any left ... my son just eat 6!

It was very good!  Thanks for looking.

Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good looking butt sandwich there brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    Options
    Nice looking butt

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Very nice.  It looks like you used string to make it more uniform?  Do you notice much difference when doing that versus leaving it alone?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I could sauce that up and enjoy if for breakfast about right now. Looks really good. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Great sandwich !!!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Well done, that sandwich looks great!

Personally, I don't foil and I often cook these at 350 but there's a dozen ways to make a tasty pulled pork.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• EggNorth
    Options
    Very nice.  It looks like you used string to make it more uniform?  Do you notice much difference when doing that versus leaving it alone?
    That's how it came from the butcher,  seems to cook nice and even so I leave the string on.  Probably get more bark if I opened it up, but oh well.
    Dave
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    That's how it came from the butcher,  seems to cook nice and even so I leave the string on.  Probably get more bark if I opened it up, but oh well.

I'm guessing it was boneless?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

14lbs!  that's a big o piggy.  Looks good.  
    Phoenix 
  • EggNorth
    edited May 2016
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    EggNorth said:

I'm guessing it was boneless?
    Yes it was boneless. Can't seem to find a bone in one anywhere.  
    Dave
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    Looks good! When I make one, I use a v rack with the butt placed inside a disposable drip pan. Really easy clean up.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca