Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need New Remote Thermo

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Being able to monitor the grate temp is a bonus, and while wifi thermos would be nice to monitor while I'm out, it doesn't really benefit me if I'm out.  Can't really doing anything about changing the temp if you are 10-15 min away.  If I'm doing a long cook and have to leave, a small spike isn't going to hurt anything.

You can always phone a friend to adjust/shut the vent.  Of course the wifi option can be achieved with a $25 dLink camera also ... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181841/maverick-732-w-12-mile-range/p1

However, be warned if if you do try it, you run the risk of seeing the benefit of "piece of mind" from afar and then having to go buy a "real" monitoring system.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Back to the OP's question, I'd just get the 733 if I were going with a Maverick.  Most of the bells & whistles aren't that useful.  I'd get an i-grill over the maverick if I thought the bluetooth range would be adequate. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm going to purchase the Igrill2. I like the reviews I've read and for what I need it fits the bill. Bed Bath and Beyond has them for $99 and if you sign up for their email notifications you will receive a 20% off coupon almost everyday which makes the price $79. Sounds like a great deal to me.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Here is the iGrill2 on Amazon for $79 and I think it comes with one probe and you can buy 3 more to use with it.  One could be the grate temp monitor.  
    http://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0009P5-iGrill2-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00NC4KU42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462379901&sr=8-1&keywords=igrill+2

BBB may not be a bad way to go either if you the 20% coupons.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Guess I was wrong it comes with 2 probes.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    This forum loves to spend my money for me. Just went & bought the iGrill2 from Amazon.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    volfan1 said:
    This forum loves to spend my money for me. Just went & bought the iGrill2 from Amazon.
    I though about that one, but most of the reviews I've read are not kind on the bluetooth range.  Ended up going with the Maverick 732 . I already spent $100+ on a thermapen, don't really need to spend another $100+ just to keep an eye on the protein.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Patiently waiting for my "Meater block" to arrive..........

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• NonaScott
    Options

Narcoossee, FL

• Ladeback69
    Options
    @saluki2007, just seen Amazon is selling the iGrill2 with 4 probes for $104.69 and free shipping if you are a Prime member.  I would be all over this if I didn't have the MEATER coming in a few months.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VJ7R10U/ref=dra_a_sm_ff_fx_xx_P2000_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=96f282b4bddcd5d463a365be111a51c9_S

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NonaScott
    Options
    You would still need to buy an ambient temperature probe which is $25 which Weber shows as out of stock. I guess Igrill2 is now a Weber product as Idevices web page redirects you to Weber home page when you look up Igrill2.

Narcoossee, FL

• Ladeback69
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    You would still need to buy an ambient temperature probe which is $25 which Weber shows as out of stock. I guess Igrill2 is now a Weber product as Idevices web page redirects you to Weber home page when you look up Igrill2.

I believe any of the probes can be used as an ambient temp probe.  They should work.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NonaScott
    Options
    Yeah that's what I would think but they sell one that is much shorter and fatter that is specifically for ambient temp. Not sure what the difference is other than looks.
    Narcoossee, FL

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Avon, Conn. – February 10th, 2016 – iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell the world’s #1 app-enabled grilling and cooking thermometer brands, namely iGrill® and Kitchen Thermometer, to Weber-Stephens Products, LLC. Weber®, the world’s largest manufacturer of outdoor grills and grilling accessories will continue to offer and grow the line of connected cooking products. The line today includes four app-enabled Bluetooth®Smart thermometers, including iGrill2, iGrillmini, Kitchen Thermometer and Kitchen Thermometermini as well as several accessory probes. The terms of the agreement are private.

iDevices will partner with Weber to release the next generation of the iGrill app which is expected to be available in Spring 2016. Until then, iGrill and Kitchen Thermometer users will be able to continue using their product through the iDevices Connected app.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options

Avon, Conn. – February 10th, 2016 – iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell the world’s #1 app-enabled grilling and cooking thermometer brands, namely iGrill® and Kitchen Thermometer, to Weber-Stephens Products, LLC. Weber®, the world’s largest manufacturer of outdoor grills and grilling accessories will continue to offer and grow the line of connected cooking products. The line today includes four app-enabled Bluetooth®Smart thermometers, including iGrill2, iGrillmini, Kitchen Thermometer and Kitchen Thermometermini as well as several accessory probes. The terms of the agreement are private.

iDevices will partner with Weber to release the next generation of the iGrill app which is expected to be available in Spring 2016. Until then, iGrill and Kitchen Thermometer users will be able to continue using their product through the iDevices Connected app.

Probably the reason if you go to the iDevices website..the thermometers are not listed as products anymore...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't know if they are still around anywhere but Samsclub had the igrill2 with 4 probes for $80.  I remove the dome thermo and stick one through the hole, and use 1 for a meat probe.  I doubt I will ever use all 4 at one time but it will be nice to have the backups if one fries. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    ... but it will be nice to have the backups if one fries. 
    You should say WHEN one fries.  They give some interesting readings when they go bad.  

This is the reading of ambient outside temps I was getting from one of the probes. Hasn't been that cold outside here in south FL in a long time!

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.