Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another random Kamado company

Options
Beacon grilling???  Looks like a small Vision grill.  Not a bad price for someone looking for more toys.

http://tools.woot.com/offers/beacon-ceramic-grill-with-stand-red-or-black-2?ref=tg_cnt_wp_3_1

Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
The damp PNW 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would say that is made by the same company that makes vision grills. same drop down table, same daisy....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    @fishlessman you think the knob on the daisy melts just like the one on the Visions?   ;)
    The damp PNW 
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    Thinking of getting... It does look like a vision, but they don't list a 13" size. Anyone with a small vision have a model number available? I wonder if CGS BGE small parts would fit this? 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    maso said:
    Thinking of getting... It does look like a vision, but they don't list a 13" size. Anyone with a small vision have a model number available? I wonder if CGS BGE small parts would fit this? 
    Probably a safe bet that the CGS stuff would fit.  It's all 13" grid based and the Woo handles don't stick up that much.  Should have enough clearance in the dome.

Maybe @tjv has seen this model before?
    The damp PNW 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    These knockoff companies re popping just as fast as Yeti tumbler ones.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    its easy to jump on board, places like this will put any name on the egg you want, 250 cost for XL'S and your a kamodo business
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/XL-Black-kamado-charcoal-EGG-Grill_60308858424.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.55.sp14ib

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    its easy to jump on board, places like this will put any name on the egg you want, 250 cost for XL'S and your a kamodo business
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/XL-Black-kamado-charcoal-EGG-Grill_60308858424.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.55.sp14ib

....another example of the damn Chinese (never mind kamados were invented in Asia) taking the jobs of Mexican workers...

Ali Baba and the 40 thieves!!!
    Options
    the funny thing was that importing chinese eggs is how bge started in business =)
    fukahwee maine

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Great price.  That adjustment dome up top looks like thin steel that'll rust out in a year.  Can't tell for sure in the photos though.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    There's a company in Columbus, GA That makes a cast iron Komado.  I can't recall their name right now, but I've already booked a visit to them later in the year when my better half is running a half-marathon in the same city!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    There's a company in Columbus, GA That makes a cast iron Komado.  I can't recall their name right now, but I've already booked a visit to them later in the year when my better half is running a half-marathon in the same city!
    I have a couple patients who work at the foundry, and one is directly involved in making these.  I have not seen the actual product yet though
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options

I met them at the HBPA convention.  That thing is HEAVY.  The lid open a full 90 degrees which is cool.  The only thing that made me wonder is how fast it goes through charcoal since it's made out of a conductor rather than an insulator.  Made sense to me to make a wood stove out of cast iron, but not necessarily a smoker in my mind.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cast iron is not nearly as great a conductor as, say, the carbon steel that Webers are made from.  It will hold heat well due to the large thermal mass, so you won't get the quick temp drop you would from the Weber Kamado.
    Options
    This may be the cast iron kamado in question - http://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/

Plain ceramic kamados like the BGE  get their temp stability from the mass of the ceramic material not because they are insulated per se. Ceramic is not a good insulator. An inch of dead air has about the same R value as an inch of ceramic. That is why the new Weber Summit Charcoal "kamado" proves to be as fuel efficient as an Egg despite being made of thin stamped metal - that dead air between the shells provides some degree of insulation. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• KiterTodd
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    This may be the cast iron kamado in question - http://www.goldenscastironcooker.com/

Plain ceramic kamados like the BGE  get their temp stability from the mass of the ceramic material not because they are insulated per se. Ceramic is not a good insulator....
    What?  An iron egg?  My head is about to explode.  I didn't know such a thing existed.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Yep, @HeavyG, that's the one.  I will be taking plenty of pictures when I go there!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    HeavyG said:

Plain ceramic kamados like the BGE  get their temp stability from the mass of the ceramic material not because they are insulated per se. Ceramic is not a good insulator....
    What?  An iron egg?  My head is about to explode.  I didn't know such a thing existed.
    Well then this one will probably cause your head to actually explode - http://www.blazegrills.com/product/blaze-kamado-coming-soon/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Be nice to have one or two of those Goldens on a stick burner trailer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options
    I just sent that link to a buddy who has been on the fence about an BGE for years (aka... his wife says no).  I told him buy it, maybe you realize you love it, and you buy a realtime unit in the future.  If not, you're out $220 and you've got a small kamado you can use occasionally.  
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    The aluminum one is interesting!  I think I like the iron one better.  I called the foundry last night on my way home and the iron one weighs in at 450 pounds!

• KiterTodd
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Well then this one will probably cause your head to actually explode - http://www.blazegrills.com/product/blaze-kamado-coming-soon/
    That's pretty cool looking.  
    When I'm not cooking can I brew beer in it?
    LBGE/Maryland