Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Travis' Brisket on a Shoulder

Options

A few weeks ago I did a brisket, and while trolling through the most epic brisket thread on the EggHead forum, I ran across a comment about doing a pork shoulder that way. I have a bunch of out of town guests coming this weekend that I am comfortable rolling the dice on skipping the tried and true method and trying this method.

So here we go, Travis' Brisket on a Shoulder. (If it works out, I will rename this recipe "On the Shoulders of Giants". Or something like that, I'll have a few cocktails tomorrow and work on it.

10 lb pork shoulder butt

1 onion, chopped

1 bottle of Allegro Hot and Spicy

1 bottle of Shiner Bock

Grand Champion Rub (I just got 2 lbs of this in, it's my maiden voyage with it. But I have heard good things)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    As they say, Standing By!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    good luck, keep us posted with some pics

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Let us see more!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    The one morning I can't find a medium sized pan.  And we are off. 

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    There are very few rules in Egging and Grilling. Taking risk and stepping outside the norm.....can always result in joy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    There are very few rules in Egging and Grilling. Taking risk and stepping outside the norm.....can always result in joy.
    Well it's 11:30 and I have had a few beers, country music playing, and the Egg has been stable at 250 for the past 4 hours so I may do some wade fishing here in a minute. All in all I can say it has been a pretty joyful day so far. 

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good punctuation, good idea and sounds like a great day (except for the country music part ;) )
    Good punctuation, good idea and sounds like a great day (except for the country music part ;) )
    Nashville born and bred...I don't think we have other stations. 

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Wrapped to sit for a bit before tossing in the fridge (serving tomorrow night). It cooked in 9 hours at 250. 1 hr per lb. I am guessing it cooked faster because of the liquid. I will leave in tact and shred tomorrow. 

Serving with its baked beans, grilled corn on the cob, vinegar slaw, and leftover baby birthday cake. Review to follow.

South of Nashville, TN

• REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    following
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    How did you reheat? And how was it?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    How did you reheat? And how was it?
    I reheated in the oven on 300 for an hour and it hadn't even reach 90 degrees so I shredded and tossed back in. It was a little dry coming back out but it was good. There is very little bark like this but everyone seemed to like it. It was definitely better when it came off and rested for 2 hours. I would have let it reheat unstressed but kids were melting down and parents were ready to eat and leave. I did put a little apple juice on there and it helped. 

All in all it was a good experiment. I will do another one and eat it right off and see how it is then. 

Notes. Bark was marginal which was to be expected cooking in liquid. Pulled at internal temp of 195. Cooked quicker than expected at 250, may cook at 230ish next round. Use smaller pan to assist air flow. If reheating pull out and let get to room temp prior to reheating. 

South of Nashville, TN