Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey hog question

Options
going to be doing a butt over night with honey hog. Last time I did one with HH it ended up burning and the bark was very hard and crusty. Maybe my temp got out of control at night and I didn't see? 

My my question is am I okay to go naked the whole cook with HH or should I wrap to prevent burning. It's a pretty heavy sugar rub. I'll be going on the guru at 250 dome. 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    It is a high sugar rub, I never wrap my pork butts so not sure what to tell you. If using the Guru you could go 225* I guess. I actually like a pretty crispy bark to mix in with the meat but obviously everyone has their preference. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Do you use mustard? I might be the odd man out here but I'm not a fan of mustard on butts. No mustard glue for me. Just basic rub and meat. Could it be the mustard?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Do you use mustard? I might be the odd man out here but I'm not a fan of mustard on butts. No mustard glue for me. Just basic rub and meat. Could it be the mustard?
    Half pickle juice half mustard. Really think that would cause a hard bark? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I've never tasted a difference between mustard and no mustard, but I don't use it unless it's a quick rub before putting on the Egg. If I have a overnight window I just put the seasoning on and let it sit. 

I'm far from the expert though I will admit that. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    IMO, mustard does nothing. And pickle juice is a new one on me. :)

Never heard of honey hog. Also have never foiled a butt cook so I don't know what that would do. I have done butts with just s&p that were quite good, though I prefer my usual rub. Never had the problem you describe with either method.

I usually use a simple homebrew similar to Elder Ward's recipe. It's very good and I've never had a bark problem. I haven't looked at Ward's in a while. Here is mine... been using it for years, mostly at 259°, once or twice at 350-400° (didn't care for that.

1 Tbls each of salt, sugar, brn sugar, cumin, chili pwdr,black pepper, paprika plus a tsp of cayenne.

Not what you asked, but maybe it will help. Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I use HH all the time. Mustard base. I like the bark dark and a sweet kiss from it. Never taste burnt to me. No foil for me. MC4L
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I use HH all the time. Mustard base. I like the bark dark and a sweet kiss from it. Never taste burnt to me. No foil for me. MC4L
    Okay. Maybe my temp just got out of control. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Half pickle juice half mustard. Really think that would cause a hard bark? 
    Pickle juice is new to me. I'm not a fan of mustard on butts. Too me the bark gets hard and not a desirable flavor for me. Like I said I'm probably the odd man out but not my thing. I now go mustard free and I get a nice flavor without a stiff bark. People like the bark but I'd rather have a nice tender bite all the way through. Just personal preference. No mustard glue for me
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    You can get a great bark without wrapping or wrapping north of 160 after it has set if you desire. Sounds like your last cook got too hot. 

BTW, mustard is just a binder. Pickle juice is emerging in central Texas as well. Supposedly it also tenderizes. Neither are needed in this case. 

I have yet to see a rub that can beat the color and bark that you can get from @MeatChurch Honey Hog on a pork shoulder. This is just s few hours into a cook.

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I am sold on MeatChurch Honey Hog.. The last time I did a Butt, I ran naked until about the last 2 hours of the cook then applied my HH rub, then added again when I chopped.. Best flavor profile I have had to date..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....