Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Brisket, Suggestions Please.

Options
I'm planning on cooking my first brisket this Friday.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  A great friend who introduced me to cooking on his Egg will be joining us for dinner Friday night.  I don't want to disappoint everyone with a failed first time attempt on a brisket.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Start early and cook it until it probes with little resistance. Around 200 internal. If it finishes early just wrap in foil. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Watch the Franklin Youtube videos.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here's a Cliff's Notes version:

The true keys to success are:

1.  A good trim of the hard fat ala Franklin. (As above, the Aaron Franklin video series for the win.)

2.  Rub of your choice.  

3.  Air gapped drip pan.

4.  Stable fire at your desired cook temp with plenty of lump. (with around 270-280*F on the calibrated dome you can plan (key word) for about an hour/lb.)

5.  Waiting for the "feel" in the thickest part of the flat to declare victory.  And not worrying if some of the flat doesn't probe as it should.

6.  Paying no attention to the point.

7.  Giving the cow around a 15-20 min rest if you FTC (stop the carryover cook).

8.  Recognizing that the cow drives the cook.

9.  Enjoying and adapting to the cook as it evolves.

Edit: try the search function here or add egghead forum to a google query and you will find a whole lot of info-more than you will ever need.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Indirect obviously but Indid one without a drip tray of water below and it dried out badly. I don't do them without a drip tray full of water underneath it now. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    If its your first brisket and you want to minimize your chances for failure, do as stated above, but additionally, wrap the brisket in foil when the bark gets like you want it or at around 160/165 deg internal temp.  Adding a small amount of beef stock to the wrap will give you even more moisture.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    Walmart has Excel beef brisket on sale for $2.96 lb.  Good brisket, or should I pass?
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options

There's nothing wrong with Excel, it is a Cargill brand. You need to be looking more for the grade, not the brand. I would look for Choice or better and look for one with a good floppy bend when you pick it up. The flop will be a good indication of how much hard fat there is that will need to be trimmed and a good indication of the general tenderness of the meat itself.

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    Don't do what I did on my one and only brisket so far...I focused on the point. Don't do that. As @lousubcap points out, just ignore it. I cooked it until the point was 205 and burned the ever living crap out of the flat.

LBGE in PHX

• reload
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!  I purchased the brisket at Wal-Mart and plan on getting started around 5:00am tomorrow morning.  I hope this will give me enough time to finish it.  I'm going with salt and pepper and BGE charcoal.  I hope it turns out great.  I'll post several pictures when I get started in the morning and keep everyone updated. 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    For the thickest part of the flat, are we talking before it meets the point or generally the thickest part on the brisket?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You just want to make sure you are truly into the flat and not into the flat/point overlap.  And close is good enough-likely that not all of the flat will release by the time the great majority is there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • reload
    Options
    I attempted to trim this bad boy to the best of my novice abilities.  I only seasoned the brisket with salt and pepper per the Franklin YouTube suggestion.  Back in the refrigerator it goes.  It's going to be an early morning. 
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Options
    reload said:
    I attempted to trim this bad boy to the best of my novice abilities.  I only seasoned the brisket with salt and pepper per the Franklin YouTube suggestion.  Back in the refrigerator it goes.  It's going to be an early morning. 
    Looking forward to seeing the results!
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • reload
    Options
    @CodyA88  I was running behind and didn't get the brisket on the Egg until 8:30 this morning. The temp settled in at 230 degrees and is holding steady.   I'm guessing it should be ready around 6:00-7:00.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @reload- how much does your brisket weigh, post-trim?  And if running with 230*F on the calibrated dome, it could take around 1.5-1.75 hrs/lb.  FYI-
    Better to aim to finish early than to be stressing trying to punch it home against the clock.  
  • reload
    Options
    Probably 10 lbs post-trim.  Should I bump the temp up a little bit?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    reload said:
    I like 250 to 275.  That is in the smoke range and will get you done a little sooner.  Don't let the stall freak you out.  It can happen between 150 and 160 and can stay there for an hour or more at times.  Try to remember how the grain runs or cut a little corner off against the the grain on the flat to help.  Good luck and enjoy the ride.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

reload said:
    I like 250 to 275.  That is in the smoke range and will get you done a little sooner.  Don't let the stall freak you out.  It can happen between 150 and 160 and can stay there for an hour or more at times.  Try to remember how the grain runs or cut a little corner off against the the grain on the flat to help.  Good luck and enjoy the ride.

If you are early, FTC; foil, towel cooler.  You can hold for hours this way.  Pull out of the cooler and let it rest for about 20 minutes before slicing.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • reload
    Options
    What temperature should the brisket be when it's read?  I've asked several people and have gotten different replies. 200?
  • reload
    Options
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    When it probes like butter. Any where around 190- 205 ish
  • reload
    Options
    Oh my goodness, this brisket smells so damn good!  I can't wait to try it.   Please turn out tender and juicy, please brisket, please......
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Please see my above post from yesterday that answers your temperature question.  FWIW-
  • malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    reload said:
    Oh my goodness, this brisket smells so damn good!  I can't wait to try it.   Please turn out tender and juicy, please brisket, please......

Oh, I'm sure the brisket will turn out tender and juicy. The question is...will you pull it when it is or keep on cooking it? :)

LBGE in PHX

• reload
    Options
    Well its wrapped in foil and resting in the cooler.  The ends looked a little over cooked.  I hope it turns out.....
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    reload said:

the brisket gods do not surrender to begging or pleading....save that for the wife.....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• lousubcap
    Options
    @paseoegg -  upon further review with SWMBO you will achieve the same outcome as pandering to the brisket gods.  ;)
  • pasoegg
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @paseoegg -  upon further review with SWMBO you will achieve the same outcome as pandering to the brisket gods.  ;)

well said captain - time to move on to an adult beverage and another episode of Wild Kingdom

Winston-Salem, NC

• pasoegg
    Options
    reload said:
    Well its wrapped in foil and resting in the cooler.  The ends looked a little over cooked.  I hope it turns out.....

what was the final result of your work??

Winston-Salem, NC