Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in Chicken Breasts

Options
DieselkW
DieselkW Posts: 894
They were on sale, for less than $1/lb. at Kroger. Tyson brand.

I bought 20lbs, put them in vacuum bags, sucked the air out and froze them all except 5 for tonight's dinner.

In a saucepan, I put two sprigs of rosemary, 4 sprigs of thyme, two sprigs of sage, 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup turbinado sugar and enough water to dissolve the salt and sugar.

Got one of the styrofoam coolers from a former meat delivery and placed these enormous chicken breasts in the bottom, covered them in poultry seasoning and ice.

When the water boiled, I iced the hot water to room temp, and poured it all on the iced chicken, put the cover on, and currently waiting for 6 hours to pass. I have a large "freezy thing" I put on top of the chicken to keep them submerged, and to keep the temp in there under 40f. I thought afterwards I could have put them in a big ol' ziplock and they would have fit in fridge... duh.

Then I cut up an old loaf of sliced Italian bread into cubes, sauteed some celery and onion, chicken stock, poultry seasoning and marjoram with a beat egg - for me, buying stuffing is like buying iced tea - it's not like you don't know how to make it, and making it yourself always tastes better, so I do my part to put Stove Top out of business. It's not working yet, but then again, I haven't bought gas from an Exxon station since 1989 and they seem to be doing just fine without me.

About an hour before taking them outside, I'll rinse and dry them, stick some more thyme and marjoram under the skin.  Planning to mop with diluted Franks Hot Sauce, butter, and a little buckwheat honey. No bbq sauce, I want the herbs to star in this show, but I can't seem to keep the hot sauce away from any chicken recipe as it always seems to improve whatever I put it on. I'm open to other ideas here, anyone?

This will be an indirect cook, 275f for as long as it takes, no smoke and Rockwood lump. Pictures if anyone is interested. Pulling them at 160f.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    Options
    Would love to see pictures!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • DieselkW
    Options
    Just put them on - steel grate, I usually use iron, but for low temp cooks I don't want too much heat transferred.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking great so far and I think your combination of herbs and hot sauce sounds excellent.  I have done similar flavor combinations and I think it works great.  Those are some big ol' breastices. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DieselkW
    Options
    Yeah @SmokeyPitt - I like 'em big.
    Took 'em off at 165f, got an eyeball roll from the wife on the not so crispy skin she likes so much, so I went back out, took out the hot plate setter, put 'em back on the grill and opened the vents wide.

Twenty seconds later, blue smoke out the top, pulled them AGAIN with crispy charred chicken skin on them. I don't eat the skin anyway, she took mine and was happy with hers.

The stuffing could have used more spice, I thought I had enough but it was still mighty tasty.  Finished with some asparagus, butter, and Sylvia's Secret.

Plated:

Indianapolis, IN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking meal.  I really like those plates (the food on them, and the actual plate). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.