Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starter Crock Advice

Options
I saw a thread on here that indicated that some people may have some input so, when it comes to storing your sourdough starter, do you use an air tight lid like all of the ones that appear when you google it, or something that can burp?  I am using Frankencrock made out of a one qt crock with a lid I found from another bowl. But if a sealed jar is good, I feel like i should just transfer it to a mason jar in the back of the fridge.  

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I used Italian Fido and Ball wide mouth one qt mason jars.  Both worked fine, Ball much cheaper, and easier to access, clean, without having a hinged and connected lid.  I like the taller Ball for growth, even though I kept my starters fed with 100g each of bottled water and KA AP.  A sealed jar is ok to use, granted I didn't crank down on them to tighten.  

No special sourdough crock is necessary.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Focker said:
    I used Italian Fido and Ball wide mouth one qt mason jars.  Both worked fine, Ball much cheaper, and easier to access, clean, without having a hinged and connected lid.  I like the taller Ball for growth, even though I kept my starters fed with 100g each of bottled water and KA AP.  A sealed jar is ok to use, granted I didn't crank down on them to tighten.  

No special sourdough crock is necessary.
    I just didn't want to use something with a rubber gasket so I pieced together a crock with a similar sized lid. But that was only because I thought I had read that it has to breath. But when I searched for what an actual sourdough crock looks like, they all had metal wire clamping and rubber gasket. The opposite of what I had been led to believe lol. Thanks for your @Focker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    There really is no reason to use a tightly sealed container but I guess some people do.

If you do use a tightly sealed container I think it will depend on how much "headspace" you have in whatever container you use.

If you are using a 1 quart container but only have 1 or 2 cups of starter there is plenty of air volume to deal with the pressure between feedings. If you are using a container that is mostly full of starter I wouldn't use a tightly sealed container. 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Foker

Quick question. Does treated water kill the yeast action? I have chlorinated water for the first time in probably thirty or forty years.
    I met a woman who took over my kitchen when she came to visit and although she assured me she had no intentions of getting married again, we tied the knot about eighteen years ago and I no longer have a kitchen but it's probably time to start making my own bread again.

Thanks

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Yes, it can.  All I use for baking is bottled water.  They treat the "sh!t" out of the Mississippi River water I have.  Yours may be ok.  You can try using tap, or do a comparison, and watch the activity or lack thereof.  Thx
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I use tap water for the bread I bake and haven't had any issues. Guess it depends on your area.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @BikerBob @Focker @Davec433 everything I read said to use untreated water.  Though its funny, I know there are people out there who will buy NYC water to make their pizza dough because they swear you can taste it, so maybe that is it, the chlorine must effect the flavor of all of your breads to come.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Thanks @HeavyG , that makes sense