Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib on the Tisserie

Options
used a rub of 1/4 cup of salt. Pepper. 2 tbl garlic 2 tbl onion 1 tsp of cayenne pepper. 

4 bone in roast. 5.6 ponds. I bought it Friday unwrapped and put on rack in fridge until 9:30 this morning. Rub with EVOO the applied rub. Set on counter for a 1.5 hours. 300 degrees on the egg for 2 hours. Pulled it at 125IT

Gotta say it was the best prime rib I have ever eaten. The Joetisserie takes it to a whole nother level!! 
Brandon, MS

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    That looks fun and tasty

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Great cook thanks for sharing.
    Seattle, WA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Congrats @loveTheEgg! That turned out fantastic. I am certain that it tasted as good as it looks. Aren't Joetisseries fun?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Fun and easy! Like you said set it and leave it! Thanks for all the info you shared with me over the weekend! I took your advice on the "tighten with pliers" I did a chicken a couple weeks ago and those tines came loose  :)
    Brandon, MS
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks great!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice beef, but the peas look great too! Looks like peas, bacon, maybe some onion and butter? Sometimes, I will sauté some shallots in oil or butter, then add the peas. Serve with a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice. One of my favorite veggies.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Yes, sugar snap beans with peas and bacon in a creamy sauce. It was good too! 
    Brandon, MS
  • Dredger
    Options
    Like you said set it and leave it!

@loveTheEgg, that's the hardest part, lol. It's tough to leave that lid down while the Joetisserie is working it's magic. Glad I could help and that's what this forum is about, plus it's a lot of fun. :) I'll be "borrowing" that pea recipe. Hubby loved the plated shot - all of it.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I just got my Joetisserie this week and did a inaugural run with a stuffed pork loin this weekend. It turned out well but I wanted to ask others if it seemed there was not a good seal around the aluminum insert and the egg? I seemed to have excessive smoke leaking out, especially during the stabilization period after lighting. It didn't make a difference in the cook but my target temp was 350. It possibly could make a difference if I was trying to cook at 250. Just wondering if others were seeing this as well? It may never cause an issue, I don't know.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    I just got my Joetisserie this week and did a inaugural run with a stuffed pork loin this weekend. It turned out well but I wanted to ask others if it seemed there was not a good seal around the aluminum insert and the egg? I seemed to have excessive smoke leaking out, especially during the stabilization period after lighting. It didn't make a difference in the cook but my target temp was 350. It possibly could make a difference if I was trying to cook at 250. Just wondering if others were seeing this as well? It may never cause an issue, I don't know.
    I wouldn't worry about it. I don't own a Joetisserie, but I bought a $30 spit with motor a couple of weeks ago just to play with. I rigged it up on the egg, but didn't have any way to seal it up. The dome was open a good inch at the handle and open to a lesser degree everywhere else.

I lost a lot of smoke, but was able to control the temp easily enough. Ran for a while at 400°, then upped it to 500°. With that much gap between the base and the dome, temp control wasn't as precise as usual, though actually not bad, and vent settings were far different. It worked though, and the 7 lb chicken was delicious!

The only problem was, I had to scrub the outside of my egg afterward to get rid of the brown residue from the smoke billowing out for the duration. Was easy enough to do with Simple Green, but I suspect if I continue to do it, over time it might start to accumulate more.

Anyway, that was my experience with losing a great deal more smoke that you lost. If you want to seal it up tight, you might try adding gaskets to both surfaces of the Joe thing. At least I assume that is possible.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dredger
    Options
    @smokeyw, we have experienced some smoke coming out around the spit opening on the side, but just during start up. We always use wood chunks too and once the egg settles down, not much smoke at all unless we open the dome for pics. Our gasket is relatively new and we get a very good seal.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @smokeyw, we have experienced some smoke coming out around the spit opening on the side, but just during start up. We always use wood chunks too and once the egg settles down, not much smoke at all unless we open the dome for pics. Our gasket is relatively new and we get a very good seal.

Most of my smoke leaking was during start up and it did have a couple of wood chunks in it too. It was not as bad later but still leaked a little bit other than just the spit opening. My gasket is about 2 1/2 years old though. It is probably not a big deal. The cook went great. I am very happy so far.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Like you said set it and leave it!

@loveTheEgg, that's the hardest part, lol. It's tough to leave that lid down while the Joetisserie is working it's magic. Glad I could help and that's what this forum is about, plus it's a lot of fun. :) I'll be "borrowing" that pea recipe. Hubby loved the plated shot - all of it.

Here you go!  =) Pea Recipe

sorry for being lazy not re typing it. If you can't read it let me know and I will retype it for u. 
    Brandon, MS
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Looks great.

Help me understand, how do you keep a temp with that and the dome open?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Dredger
    Options
    @loveTheEgg thanks for the recipe! I just knew that heavy cream had to be involved. I can read it just fine and I appreciate you posting it. Will be making this probably this week.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Looks great.

Help me understand, how do you keep a temp with that and the dome open?
    Very carefully!! 

No really, it was open because it was done and I was pulling it off so I snapped a pic! It was closed for the duration of the cook 
    Brandon, MS