Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Take apart/re-assemble a large egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I reserved a large demo egg to be picked up after the eggfest. I am thinking to take it apart to transport it back home in a pick up truck. I was wondering:[p]- how hard it is to take a large egg apart the spring assisted hinged lid/ring?
- what tools should I bring?
- is it ok to lay the empty egg on its side (on blankets of course)?
- how hard is it to put everything back? I guess I will need to make adjustments to make sure I have a good seal?[p]Thanks ahead for any info!

Comments

• EGGlomaniac
    Options
    waruwaru,
    use a lot of blankets to cushion the ceramics, of course.
    what type of vehicle are you transporting it back home in??
    you might be able to get away with simply taking out the inner fire-box and rings (so they don't rattle inside the egg). then you could skip taking off the hinges and just make sure the lid and bottom are firmly down and secured, with either rope, string or duct tape, then wrapped with a large blanket and secured in the vehicle to avoid and tip-overs. that's what i did to get mine home with no spills and without re-adjusting the bands and hinges.
    good luck!!!

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    EGGlomaniac,[p]I picked up my BGE two weeks ago and loaded it into my wife's small hatchback (our son had to use my Landrover for the weekend). I left the lid on and propped it open at 45 degrees to help stop it from rolling sideways. I had to leave the firebox and ring inside because of a lack of space but I think that helped by adding ballast.We used a lot of cushions and blankets to make a sort of nest around it. No problems during a 60 mile trip.[p]As this is my first post on this forum, I would like to thank The Whiz and other regulars. By using the archvies and TNW site I was able to set up the BGE on Sunday for the first time and turn out some great lamb and pork ribs without the slightest hassle.
  • CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    waruwaru,[p]I just moved my large in a pick-up. We took out all the innards and other movable parts and packed them in a box with blankets so they'd be safe. Then we used motorcycle straps to tie it down in the far forward portion of the cargo area. No damage to the egg at all and very easy. I don't think there is any reason to take off the bands for transport unless you have a space issue.[p]Good Luck!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    waruwaru,
    I take apart my egg twice a year so it's easy to pick up and move. I have a summer location and then a winter location. No problem for me to secure the hinge with nylon cable ties then loosen the two band bolts using a 7/16 box wrench. Off comes the dome, off comes the bands and hinge, out go the innards and now I'm good to pick up the parts and move. Reverse the procedure and I'm ready to BBQ. I make sure the bands are snugged up good and that the back side of the dome band is high enough on the lip to make a good seal at the back. The design of the hinge is very good; simple, non-obtrusive, functional and easy to remove and replace.
    With the egg disassembled it's safer to move and that is why I take the time to it. Do not lay the egg on it's side. Some folks build a plywood box like and egg create to move their eggs fully assembled.[p]Good luck, have fun!
    Clay

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    waruwar
    i wouldnt lay it on its side, if you have it in pieces i would put it with the gaskets facing down up near the cab as it would be more steady that way than standing up. ive transported pieces that way, i have a stand that i built for moving it in one piece now

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    waruwaru,[p]Don't do it. Get some help, take the innards out, and just seat belt it into the passenger seat next to you. If it's assembled I'd do everything in my power to leave it that way. [p]You could build a transporter like grillmeisters and then you could put it in the back, still assembled, and you'd be ready for your next transport. [p]anyone got a picture of that grillmeister transporter.[p]p.s. Mine fit, fully assembled, in the back seat of my trailblazer. my nephew rode in the middle on the hump and steadied it...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the useful info! Since I am not very handy and don't own any wood-working tools, I will skip making the GrillMeister's box for this round (link below if anyone needs it). I will definitely bring lots of ropes/string/blankets. :) Thanks for your help! I will let yall know if anything happens (crossing fingers)...
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2006/messages/261406.htm[/ul]
  • SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    waruwaru,[p]i'm picking up a large demo myself. i plan on taking out the fire ring and box and leaving the rest assembled. i'll then put it in the back seat and put on it's seatbelt. should transport fine (just like a baby! LOL). i don't know that you need to take apart the dome from the base unless you have space issues.
  • Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    Dos Huevos, Grillmeister's is the way to go. It cost $12 in wood, glue and screws from Home Depot. I made a copy in 45 minutes and it works great. No need to take the egg apart.
    Transporter.jpg[p]WessB has the plans for the small. You can expand on those. The hole for a large needs to be 21".

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks to everyone with the advice. I had no trouble bring my large egg home yesterday. Rented a truck, wrapped the egg in blanket, and secured it near the cab using some tie-down-strap/ratchet-straps. Thanks to helping hands at the Eggfest, it wasn't hard for 2 people to put the egg onto the truck.[p]At home, I was trying to move the egg off the truck and up some stairs by myself. It sure is alot heavier than it looks! :) So, I decided to take the large BGE apart despite the advices (mistake!). I have to say that now I have learned alot about how to put the egg back together. It was pretty frustrating because I was doing it in an incorrect sequence. Anyways, thanks for everyone's help. Now my egg is nicely perched in its nest on the balcony. :D