Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fathers day beans

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,776
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
0b490e70.jpg
<p />fathers day was at my brothers house this year and i was asked to make beans. im never sure how much will be eaten so i usually make enough for fifty to feed 10. some were traditional boston baked and some i winged with an italian meatsauce, my sister and law and family are italian. this meat sauce bean came out great and makes a great chili reheated and smoked on the egg.
50243d02.jpg
an hour of smoke with the cover off and an additional hour with the cover on is just right
100_0772.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Could you share the traditional recipe please, and what kind of wood for smoke, temp, direct or indirect, etc... I am planning on doing a big pot of beans for the 4th, and will need to do them early in the morning of and take them with me. Will they "hold" well and not dry out? Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Seth

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    beans.jpg
    <p />fishlessman,

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Crab leg,
    i make them a day ahead and reheat them in the morning, sometimes they need to cook longer. i put the bean pot into a corregated cardboard box and into a cooler and they stay hot for several hours[p]BOSTON BAKED BEANS
    2 small onions sliced thick
    2 pounds beans,mix kidney, yellow eye, red beans (sometimes great northers). of all the beans, yellow eyes have the best flavor IMHO
    3 TBL brown sugar
    3TBL white sugar
    2tsp dry mustard
    half pound salt pork
    1 cup molasses
    1TBL sea salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1tsp baking soda[p]soak beans 24 hours in water. bring to a simmer and remove 2 cups water and reserve(dont reserve water after it has the baking soda added). add soda to the beans and simmer 1 half hour, turn off and soak for 1 hour. drain and toss this liguid.
    bring other ingrediants and reserved water to a boil. layer onions beans onions beans then salt pork floating on top and add the sauce.add boiled water to cover beans.
    in the egg i setup at 250 inderect with no saltpork for the first hour or so, then add the pork and cook for 5 hours covered. remove cover for last hour to brown the pork. total cook time is about 6-8 hours, make sure all ingrediants are hot before putting into the egg. after the beans are softened and fully cooked i add a little more molasses to taste if they are bland[p]one thing that ive found is that different water supplys make the times different. my water demands that the soak times are long and that simmering first is needed with the beans or they are hard when cooked. ive used other water sources and did not have this problem
    i use a bean pot, [p][p]

[ul][li]bean pots[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    fishlessman,[p] Just a small variation on this. Don't use the Baking Soda. Use a TBL of cider vinegar instead.. It does make a pleasent difference.[p] This is pretty much the recipe I use in my Dutch Oven.
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    tach18k,
    Did that pic come from Blazing Saddles?[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...