Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Brisket

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
We went shopping today and happened on this brisket at our local Kroger.  I just wanted to show you the label.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/leroymcmillin/2016 Photos/2016-03-22 12.37.00.jpg

No, we didn't buy it, but I'm thinking I should have.  It looked a lot better than most briskets I've seen lately.  

The price was certainly good.

But I thought it was too big for my Large Egg.  I came home and looked at the space  in my Egg and I still think it's too large.  
I'm betting it would be a good one, especially if I cooked it using the instructions found in this from ThermoWorks today:

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/leroymcmillin/media/2016%20Photos/2016-03-22%2012.37.00.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/leroymcmillin/2016%20Photos/2016-03-22%2012.37.00.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My neighbor even brought me some wrapping paper like Aaron Franklin uses.  

I may go back tomorrow.

Spring "Wishing I Had Is A Long Way From Just Doing It" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Won't load Leroy. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That's a monster at a great price!  You Texans really got it good on beef and grocery store. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
     I once cooked a 20 lb one on my large. Draped it over a V Rack until it shrunk up a bit during cooking.  Others have used bricks wrapped in foil.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    @Spring Chicken HEB has briskets on sale this week for $1.49/lb
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    You can wrap a brick in foil or a stainless bowl to drape it and make it fit
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    ...or just get an XLBGE to cook that bad boy on.   :)

Love my XLBGE!
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love big briskets and I can not lie.  I knocked out a 22lbr this past weekend. It was thing of beauty.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i see flats priced in the 40 dollar range =) i bet you could just line the front and back with foil and just scrunch it in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Last one I did was pushing 20lbs and draped it over a v-rack for the first few hours.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Last one I did was pushing 20lbs and draped it over a v-rack for the first few hours.
    I have done the same thing in the large.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Meh - that's Select grade - keep looking - you can often find Prime at lower pricing than that at Costco if you have one nearby.

Purchase your brisket by 'feel', not by looks.  Pick that sucker up and see if it passes the floppage test before you spend that much.

For just a bit more than the original price you can get an SRF brisket.  It won't be as big, but it will be a vastly superior product that will get rave reviews.

• BGnogin
    BGnogin Posts: 76
    Options
    @Spaightlabs should a brisket flop nor not flop to pass the floppage test?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    BGnogin said:
    @Spaightlabs should a brisket flop nor not flop to pass the floppage test?
    You want floppy.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum