Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Patrick's Reuben

Options
It's St. Patrick's day, so there's a little 2lb corned beef (point) on the egg right now.
Out of the cryo this morning, pat dry, and seasoned all around. I grind the following with 1/4 c brown sugar: Coriander, Dill, Mustard seeds, Allspice, Bay Leaves, Cloves, Cardamom. Spread it on with the little packet of whole seeds that came with it.

It's 157f. right now... stalling in the egg set to 225f. since noon. (3.5 hours) with some grape wood.

It's ready when it's ready. I'm hoping for 5pm.

When she's done, I'm going to spread some rye bread cubes on the bottom of my iron 10x10. Half of my Reuben mixture of shredded swiss cheese, sauerkraut, diced dill pickle, Thousand Island, and mustard goes on the bread cubes.
Then very thin shaved slices of corned beef, maybe a pound of it, and then cover with the other half of the Reuben mixture and topped with rye bread crumbs.

Bake that in the egg at 350 until browned... 45mins - 1 hour.  Reuben Casserole.

Pictures when it's done.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I definitely want to see this when it's finished.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hope it's not too salty.  There's usually more salt in factory corned beef because they presume you're going to boil it and typically the meat salts the broth and cabbage or whatever you have in the broth.
    Options

If you didn't desalinate it by soaking, it will be LOADED with salt.

I made this mistake, myself.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Here's some pictures so far, and I agree Nola, factory corned beef is what it is, but if I have a brisket, I've got no patience for waiting for it to brine... that brisket is going to be tomorrow's bbq.

This is just a quick little cook: Here's some pix -

Been stalled now for a half hour....

Cheese, sauerkraut mixture:

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• DieselkW
    Options
    OK, you've got me worried about salt now... I didn't soak it.

I can add some milk to the cheese mixture, that should help, as well as all that pickle/cheese/mayo it will be cooking in later. We will have to wait and see.

Indianapolis, IN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It sounds like an excellent recipe.  I think you are right that in the casserole you might not notice the salt as much.  Maybe go easy on the pickles (they are also salty). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokingPiney
    edited March 2016
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    OK, you've got me worried about salt now... I didn't soak it.

I can add some milk to the cheese mixture, that should help, as well as all that pickle/cheese/mayo it will be cooking in later. We will have to wait and see.
    I cooked a corned beef brisket last fall fall low and slow without soaking it. It looked picture perfect when it came off the Egg. It tasted like I was eating a block of pure smoked salt - VERY salty. I cut it into lardons to keep from tossing it and used it like bacon in a bunch of other cooks.

You're already well into the cook. Who knows.....you might get lucky on the salt. Your idea of a Reuben casserole sounds excellent. 
  • DieselkW
    Options
    The corned beef is fine - I tried a couple of slices from the edge to the middle, it's really OK.
    The stall lasted forever.... finally took it off at 190f., tender to the probe going in at all 4 sides. (Buttah)

Rested it while I cut some bread and my wife arranged it in the bottomThen I spread on the cheesy sauerkrauty pickly mixture, topped with the corned beef cut into bite size chunks.

top that with the rest of the cheese mix, as well as the rest of the sauerkraut, and topped with bread crumbs. Running late, but it's on the egg now.

Indianapolis, IN

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    The corned beef is fine - I tried a couple of slices from the edge to the middle, it's really OK.
    The stall lasted forever.... finally took it off at 190f., tender to the probe going in at all 4 sides. (Buttah)

Rested it while I cut some bread and my wife arranged it in the bottomThen I spread on the cheesy sauerkrauty pickly mixture, topped with the corned beef cut into bite size chunks.

top that with the rest of the cheese mix, as well as the rest of the sauerkraut, and topped with bread crumbs. Running late, but it's on the egg now.

Excellent and good to hear! 

Press on.............I want to see this badass casserole.  :)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Yes, your casserole idea is tops!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DieselkW
    Options
    It was a hit... tastes like a Reuben... the bread on the bottom was "toasted", a bit crunchy. If you want it more like french toast, just add some milk and eggs to the cheese mix.

I make my own kraut - it takes a week - 10 days, but you can't beat the price or the flavor of home made ferment.

Here it is, hot and bubbly with browned edges:

Notice how clean the iron bottom is... no sticky cheesy mess at all.

Plated. Everyone went back for seconds this size.

Indianapolis, IN

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    That looks great! Well done! 
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Looks great! Very cool cook.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Boy that looks good. Nicely Done!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.