Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Handgun Selection

Options
For you eggers with handguns for home defense... Need your input..

I am wanting to get a handgun for home defense (already have a few shotguns)

1. Decent stopping power
2. Big enough for me, but small enough that my wife would feel comfortable using it (loading, unloading, firing accurately)
3. Less than $400
4. very accurate at 10-20'

Thanks guys. This forum is the best place to get information on any relevant topic (cooking or otherwise).

Godspeed

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i would go with a 9mm

https://www.gunsamerica.com/934796365/Springfield-XDS-9mm-NEW.htm

or

https://www.gunsamerica.com/940824384/Springfield-Armory-XD9-Pistol.htm

you are going to get lots of recommendations here.  the best thing to do is go try them out in both of your hands to see what is comfortable for you.  try to find a place that will rent or loan them out so you can shoot them also
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I would say go to a gun range that rents guns and try a few.
    Also had very good luck just going to a larger gun range and just talking to a few people. Bring your wife. Stress to the people you are talking with that you want something that your wife can handle. I have in the past let others shoot a few rounds at the range. Also saves rental fee. Keep notes on exact model and how you both liked it.
    ^Great stuff right there.

Usually people are pretty helpful at the range. I'm not sure where you're at or what is around you, but if you go somewhere that's a dedicated gun store (small operation) those guys tend to want to help you out more, and get you something you'll be able to use and suits your need. Gander Mountain stores (if there's one around you) tend to have a great staff at their gun counters, and usually a gunsmith as well.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    get your wife her own gun, something small and light, maybe even pink like a ruger lcp. i dont think this will intimidate her
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger-LCP-Pistols/706480.uts

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ^^^^Great advise. Just another opinion here, but might I suggest  either a Glock 26 or 42. The 26 is called the baby Glock, it a 9mm double stack, and the 42 is a 380 single stack. I daily carry a Ruger LCP, as its small enough for an ankle holster, under my slacks...But Id say it might be too small for what you're looking for.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Glock 43
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    The Springfields are great choices, felt em but never have shot em.  I'm a GLOCK fool, but when it comes to the ole lady, I got her a Ruger LC9.  It's got a great feel, not too big, good shooter, and external safty.  Only drawback is a long trigger pull.

What ever you choose, proficiency is key!!!  Shoot shoot shoot and shoot some more!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options

Semi-autos are very dependable but misfeeds and/or misfires do happen, unless she gets very comfortable handling a misfeed and/or misfire I'd look at a double action revolver. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Glock 43
    Do you have one? I tried it at the range/store the other day and it KEPT jamming. It wasnt dirty, and had been broke in (according to the store emplyee anyways).
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Hi54putty said:
    Glock 43
    Do you have one? I tried it at the range/store the other day and it KEPT jamming. It wasnt dirty, and had been broke in (according to the store emplyee anyways).
    I've got one and I've never had a problem with it. Had it for five years or so, put several hundred rounds through it a year and no issues. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wife = Revolver, minimal moving parts.
    Accurate = longer barrel length and shooter dependent.
    Power = .357, .380, 0.40, or .45
    Price = I think you're more in the $450 range.

My 0.02, take it for what it is worth.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • malligator
    malligator Posts: 102
    Options
    If you're going to have only one gun it should be a Glock 19. It's a great size with lots of capacity (15-33 rds). Big enough for HD. Small enough for CC. You can get them used in your price range.

LBGE in PHX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would stick with .380 or 9mm.  The bigger recoil on .45 and .357 can be even more startling, the sound more deafening (and disorienting), follow up shots less accurate with an inexperienced shooter.
    Options
    I like the S&W MP Shield in 9mm. Works for me for everyday carry and pretty much fits your list of wants. My 13 year old granddaughter can handle with no problems.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Options

What ever you get the most important thing is get some good quality training. I am not talking about just learning how to shoot or be accurate. What I am referring to is understanding how your gun works, the proper way to use and care for the gun,  how to identify potential threats and be aware of your surroundings, how to properly defend yourself from an attack, and the most important one understanding the laws responsibility and proper technique of using a firearm for self defense.

Most people are willing to spend 400-500 on a gun but then cringe at what quality training cost, what is your life worth? Just going out and shooting a couple hundred rounds every once a while or being a good shot is not training or being properly prepared. This is what I tell people who inquire about self defense with a firearm "Every bullet has a attorneys name on it" and be ready to loose everything you have god forbid you ever have to defend yourself or family but, it is better than being dead or worse loosing someone you love and not being able to defend from the threat. Defending yourself and your family is not something to take lightly understand the consequences of your actions and make sure you are willing to accept them. If the idea of jail or prison time are not something you are willing to accept think long and hard about using a firearm for self defense. It is sad in todays society that criminals have the upper hand when it comes to your rights and freedoms.   

I am very firm believer in my right in doing what ever is needed to defend myself and the ones I love from anyone or anything that is engaging in an unlawful act to harm me and my loved ones even if it involves bodily harm and deadly consequences.      

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    Options
    I agree with taking her to the range and letting her try different guns. I took my wife for the first time recently and she was shooting my .357 and my .45 like a champ. You never know until you go...
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Ditto what @nolaegghead said.  I love my Springfield .45 but my wife can't pull the slide back on it.  She can handle the Glock 19 with no trouble.  Also, as was mentioned in the same post - no one ever thinks about what it will be like firing a large gun in a dark small room.  Having mistakenly removed my muffs at an inopportune time at a range, I know it will be deafening and shocking.

And as others said - practice, practice practice.  And remember most gunfights are going to be at 10 feet or less.  Get defensive training.
    New Orleans LA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ^^^^ This.  I took Wilma to the range for the first time a while back.  I thought she would prefer my .38 snubby, but she liked the .357 the best.
    edit: I carry a Kahr PM-9 and it's a sweet shooter.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have two for that. 
    Glock 43 (small Glock) 9mm
    also a Sig P238 (.380) but a little higher $$
    Wife and I both like the .380 the best and with a defense round the .380 will do the trick.
    use this for carry and house, very good defense loads. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    jrb06 said:

What ever you get the most important thing is get some good quality training. I am not talking about just learning how to shoot or be accurate. What I am referring to is understanding how your gun works, the proper way to use and care for the gun,  how to identify potential threats and be aware of your surroundings, how to properly defend yourself from an attack, and the most important one understanding the laws responsibility and proper technique of using a firearm for self defense.

Most people are willing to spend 400-500 on a gun but then cringe at what quality training cost, what is your life worth? Just going out and shooting a couple hundred rounds every once a while or being a good shot is not training or being properly prepared. This is what I tell people who inquire about self defense with a firearm "Every bullet has a attorneys name on it" and be ready to loose everything you have god forbid you ever have to defend yourself or family but, it is better than being dead or worse loosing someone you love and not being able to defend from the threat. Defending yourself and your family is not something to take lightly understand the consequences of your actions and make sure you are willing to accept them. If the idea of jail or prison time are not something you are willing to accept think long and hard about using a firearm for self defense. It is sad in todays society that criminals have the upper hand when it comes to your rights and freedoms.   

I am very firm believer in my right in doing what ever is needed to defend myself and the ones I love from anyone or anything that is engaging in an unlawful act to harm me and my loved ones even if it involves bodily harm and deadly consequences.      

This is really good advice. Who generally puts on these types of trainings? I have a small handgun but have never really been trained on it and would definitely be willing to do so. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sure, when you have muffs on your head, the bigger caliber guns - .357, magnums, 38 +P, 45, etc are more "exciting" to shoot because you feel them more - more recoil, bigger boom.  Shooting them in a house without hearing protection when you're jittery and nervous gives you a disadvantage over the smaller caliber if you're not experience and the goal is to hit a (often moving) target.

If it's a house weapon, full sized (not ultra compact) 9mm or .380 is not a bad choice.   Larger gun = less recoil, easier to pull slide.  You don't need small if you don't CC.

My opinion.
    Options
    jonnymack said:

This is really good advice. Who generally puts on these types of trainings? I have a small handgun but have never really been trained on it and would definitely be willing to do so. 
    Most concealed carry instructors can provide it but I am sure the quality of training varies wildly.  Check with your local range for recommendations.
    New Orleans LA
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    my local concealed carry trainer offers an intro class for women.  provides several models and calibers for them to shoot in it.  the wife had a blast
  • RedSkip
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If a situation arose where I wasn't home to protect my family, and my wife needed a weapon.  The question I asked myself was....When the slide jams, or a round misfires... With an intruder in the house, will she have the whereabouts to properly get the next round ready?  For me, the answer was no.

If you truly want a home defense, go with the revolver.  A round doesn't fire, pull the trigger again, and again, and again until it fires.  I won't debate the caliber (9 mm, 357, 380, etc.)  that's all preference; but in a panic situation with someone in your house, you don't want to have to think.  It needs to be instinct...

The argument over capacity and rounds...  Sure a revolver has it's limitations depending on the caliber (5-7 shots), but I doubt your will will want to pull the trigger once.  Let alone something that has more capacity like a semi-auto.

Also, depending on the state you resided...if you shoot someone in excess of 5-6 times most likely is going to be looked at as murder and not defense.  

Side Note:  Most folks with semi's will say go to the range and get acquainted with your firearm.  Understand it intimately, and you won't have these concerns with the slide or a misfire...

Truth be told I agree, however, life is short and time is valuable.  I barely have time to cook on the egg some weekends, knowing that - simpler is better for us.  

Whichever you purchase will be an excellent choice, and I hope you never have to fire it.  Practice, practice, practice.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No offense but, on a home defense real-life situation....dark, awaken from a dead sleep w/ other occupants feet away with only gypsum board protection...I'd grab a Mossberg 500 tactical. Don't get me wrong I own handguns also. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RedSkip
    Options
    ^^ +1 - Great point.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    I like Glock 19's for around the house and in the car and Kahr PM380 & PM9 for CCW.  Springfield XD's are great guns too.

9mm (9x19, 9mm Luger) is a good round, and has been around forever.  40S&W was sawed off 10mm Auto that came out in the mid-90's.  It's got a little more power to it, but you also lose capacity or compactness and have a MUCH higher investment everytime you go shooting.

.380 ACP (9x17, 9mm Browning) has also been around forever, but the ballistics of a 9x19 are MUCH better with that extra 2mm if you can handle & pack it.  380 is also more expensive to shoot than 9x19.  Before KelTec came out with the P3AT, 380 was scarce.  Now with all the pocket pistols it's pretty common.

Comes down to whatever you guys are comfortable carrying and shooting.  If it's too heavy or big to carry, don't buy it for CCW.  If it's so small and has a huge kick that you don't practice with it, don't buy it for home, car, or CCW.  It's kind of like wallet or underwear shopping--take a while to find the right fit.

Check out this pocket guns chart......lots of good info:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22wLsyYEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3ZDlm/view 
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Any pistol is hardly going to be shot accurately in a high stress environment unless you practice in high stress environments and frequently. The simple fact is that pistols are inherently inaccurate compared to long guns. Their benefit is in maneuverability and concealment. Shotguns/ARs are the best for home defense in terms of accuracy but you sacrifice maneuverability. Just don't fall for the "you don't have to aim a shotgun" fallacy because within the confines of your house, the pattern on a shotgun isn't going to be nearly as big as you think it is. You still have to aim, period.

My mother tried to take my HK VP9 because it was the only gun she could manipulate the slide on but it's out of your price range somewhat considerably.

I get the revolvers just go bang story, but they suck to shoot and most people (and women) don't find them that easy to shoot. 

All that said, I sleep with a glock 19 with surefire x300 light on it and an elzetta bravo handheld light next to it with a 30 round mag loaded with critical defense ammo and another mag sitting next to it. My AR stays in my closet loaded and ready to go if the S really HTF.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    I get the revolvers just go bang story, but they suck to shoot and most people (and women) don't find them that easy to shoot. 
    I bought my wife a S&W 642 Airweight snubby with CT laser grips.  Nice looking gun and light, but she hated it.  The trigger pull was horrible, and she could barely hit anything at 7 yards.  I could put all five center mass, but not at any distance.  No reason not to have a semi auto of the same size and weight with more rounds and less kick.  I sold it and she went back to the Glock 19 and XD9SC for the car and in the house.  Still can't get her to carry on her; and she won't carry in her purse if the kids are with her.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks like you have a lot of good advice so far, but the only caliber I haven't seen that I like is the 40.  I have one and like it better then the 9 mm and doesn't kick as much as the 45 I had for a while.  If I got my wife a handgun I would look at the 380, because of her small hands.  She doesn't really care for guns, but hasn't made me get rid of mine either.  Her mother in law is a different story.  I also have a nice .22 that is fun to shot, but I would love to have a 357 revolver to add to what I have already.

Going to a range and trying them out to me is the best way to decide, that's what I did to get what I have.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.