Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving an Egg that is cooking/running.

Options
kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,432
I am not talking about wheeling it from patio to driveway.  Has anyone ever started a cook in one location and for one reason or another, needed to transport it to another location mid-cook.  Maybe it was planned or maybe it was unplanned.  

Just curious.
Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have moved my egg mid cook,but only approx 15' to avoid some so close to the house. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    Obviously your egg is not in a nest or table so where is it? Just sitting on the ground? How far do you need to move it? Will it still be on the ground? Will someone be helping you? Idea to follow.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    I don't need to move mine.  I am curious if other have had to.  Mine is in a nest.  Just looking for stories.

Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    What size egg? Do you have a large shovel commonly referred to a grain shovel? or at least a flat snow shovel? If so just tilt your egg up, slide scoop under it so when put down the egg is in the shovel. Then just drag it to where you want, but have someone help keeping the egg upright. 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @RRP
    That is a good idea.  I have a large.  I am looking for stories like "I was doing a low and slow for a party at a friends house.  I underestimated the time it would take, so we rolled it on a trailer, strapped it down, and drove 15 miles to so and so's pool party."
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,491
    Options
    If you find any like the above light and drive then you may also want to look for the follow-on fire scene report ;).  Moving cold ceramics has it's waiting pitfalls-messing around with one that is up and running can only compound the challenge.  But just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like you are thinking about a Mobile Pork Wagon

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Fred's Franks runs a couple of XL Eggs on the back of a landscaping trailer converted for food service up in Wakefield MA. 

Trucks the trailer in and out daily.

https://www.facebook.com/fredsfranks/photos/pb.121172177960366.-2207520000.1457136745./735396663204578/?type=3&theater

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Click the above link...then scroll through the pictures. I tried to hit the exact one, it didn't cooperate.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I don't need to move mine.  I am curious if other have had to.  Mine is in a nest.  Just looking for stories.

Mine is in a table with wheels and yes I have rolled it a few feet while cooking.

I don't like to do it though, for fear of vibrations releasing ash particles that then might be deposited upon my meal. I just prefer to not eat ash covered food.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes. MM hot as balls on the beach and some punks got all up on our fishing spot. Two choices....shoot em' and toss em' in the Atlantic or move. We moved. It's a grill.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Brought her home(wasnt cooking yet)...fun part was dragging my Large egg uphill on soft grass with a steep grade. Gloves started feeling the heat so i had to do it quick, almost tipped when the wheel caught on a twig. I have a nest

Austin, Tx
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have never done it but would think with the increases flow of air there might be some temp issues.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I've moved mine around on the  patio while it's been cooking, trying to keep the wind from causing me issues, but that's only been maybe 10-15feet. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2