Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking on the Egg

Options
Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum and a proud owner of a large Egg. I'm excited to cook on it. I've always wanted an egg. I'm not new to smoking as I have a nice smoker. My main interest in the Egg is using it for steaks and pissa (sorry the last letter of the alphabet on my keyboard died) My question is, do most wrap the plate setter in foil, or use a drip pan, or both? If you get drippings, is the egg like a self cleaning oven, if you take it up hot?
Thanks,D

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  I like a drip pan with an air gap.  
    Phoenix 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Welcome, D. 

My answer, neither.  When cooking steaks, I cook direct.  About 400 on the dome.  I never worry about drippings.  There may be a little leftover scent from the previous cook when you fire up the remaining lump coal for your new cook, but I find it burns off in just a few minutes - time for the egg to warm up. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Welcome to the BGE cult! I have been egging for 9 years and have always protected my plate setter from grease drippings with either a drip pan or foil. I only use the plate setter when cooking indirect. I grill steaks direct with no plate setter. If you let the plate setter get gunked up with grease drippings and then want to do Pissa's :) the burning grease will give your Pissa a very bad taste. Happy Egging and congrats.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• dhilde
    Options
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I know i'm going to love this Egg!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    A lot to learn, however it's all fun.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I always put foil on it if i'm doing reverse sear steaks, or indirect chicken, burgers.  If I'm doing a butt or ribs, I normally put a pan in there.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    I don't use a water pan, nor wrap the place setter.  A high temp burnoff every few smokes, or when I am doing something I don't want to have any smoke flavor, does a great job cleaning the plate setter, and everything else.

Opinions on almost all things Eggy, Smokey or BBQey  (???)  vary all over the map.  My bottom line: try to make sure I'm not doing anything reeeeeal stupid, and then go with what works for me.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of smoker do you already have?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    I cover the stone with foil. Dripping burn up when cooking hot, or pizza, or just a clean burn. A clean burn is burning an egg full or charcoal super hot until empty, incinerating any drippings/soot inside.

Happy Egging and enjoy yourself! Welcome to the fun!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • dhilde
    Options
    Jeremiah, I have a Stumps Stretch for my smoker. Its an insulated, gravity feed smoker made by Walter "stumps" Mcdowell in Georgia. It takes care of my smoking needs but not adversed to using the egg. Ive tasted smoked porkbutt, brisket and ribs out of an egg, and its every bit as good as out of my Stumps.I'm looking to keep the egg clean for baking and cooking steaks  for the most part. I do foil the Stumps also.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't always use a drop pan, but try to wrap the plate setter for L&S's.  If you forget , you can always put the plate setter in legs down after a steak or pizza cook and let it burn off.  I have done that before.  Like below.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dhilde
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. I really appreciate it