Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new hobby: a saltwater reef tank

Options
Jeremiah
Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
I have been a little absent around here lately as I've been researching and putting together this saltwater reef tank. We've spent the last several months building the stand and aquiring the components. About a month ago it finally got water in it and it has "cycled" and we have the first inhabitants. I still have to build the top/ canopy (our walls are not really purple!) Anyone else here into reef-keeping??
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    That looks great @Jeremiah

I am glad you are back. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No experience here, but that looks really cool, and good to see you on here again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,192
    Options
    Nice!  That is hobby that will make all others seem cheap!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Is one of those named Nemo?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,066
    Options
    That looks really cool.  Every time we try to start an aquarium, we kill all the fish somehow.  Nice woodworking bro!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm glad you found a hobby that will save you money :wink: 
    Looks great buddy!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    You may have just found a more expensive hobby than the egg.
    Looks great and good luck........
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    I've never tried my hand at saltwater tanks. I have always had African Cichlids. Having aquariums is a great hobby.  I love just going to the stores to look at fish sometimes. Nice setup, best of luck. Most of all enjoy sitting watching your new family members.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    Nice looking tank. I would love a saltwater tank but just don't have room for the size I want. I'll have to keep enjoying our fresh water tank in the mean time. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks yall, i keep telling my wife that once we finish buying all the startup stuff this will ease off...then I mentioned the joetissorie. And I think I lost the argument after that. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Get fish that you can cook on the egg!   =)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If you think you lost, you did. 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I am in the process of putting together a high end 90 gallon. I have almost everything to get it going,but still need 1 more power head before I can start with live rock and cycling. Then before I put coral in I need a skimmer and lights. The power head is 300.00 the skimmer I'm going with is 550.00 and the lights I'm going with are 1200.00. Then 1000.00 fore live rock oh heck.....you get the point. I could have gone cheaper but I want clams so it is going to cost me on the lights. I have had cheaper setups and was never really 100% happy with them so found a place 30 miles from me that are like salt water gods and if they recommend it that is what I'm going for as they know what I want to keep.

could you take a picture of your overflow for me? Please......
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ONce upon a time I was OBSESSED. I'm still maintaining a 150g fish only and a 90g mixed reef. 

this was my 210g sps heavy mixed reef tank

http://s967.photobucket.com/user/thatgrimguy/library/210 Gallon Mixed Reef?sort=3&page=1

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    ONce upon a time I was OBSESSED. I'm still maintaining a 150g fish only and a 90g mixed reef. 

this was my 210g sps heavy mixed reef tank

http://s967.photobucket.com/user/thatgrimguy/library/210 Gallon Mixed Reef?sort=3&page=1
    Dude,
    That's friggin gorgeous. I really wanted to get into salt water, but just couldn't convince the wife that the $$$$ was worth it. Maybe sometime....
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy does nothing half a$$ed I'm noticing. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy does nothing half a$$ed I'm noticing. 
    Go big or go home!!  If I get into something, I tend to get REALLY into it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @badinfluence it's an eshopps rs100 that the fish store talked me into. I wish now I'd have done different as it doesn't have a refugium compartment, and the reef octopus 150 barely fits. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Look into algae scrubbers. They are refugium's on steroids. http://algaescrubber.net/forums/
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Just started the salt mixing station over the weekend as well. Still need to finish plumbing it. @Thatgrimguy I'd really love to pick your brain sometime as I'm really flying by the seat of my pants here. (With mostly bad advise from the fish stores and what I can gather from forums).
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Looks like you are off to a hell of a start. I'd be more than willing to share any knowledge I have. I have been into saltwater for over 2 decades.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Beautiful! I hVe fresheater tanks!
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Best advice I can give is to test your water often, keep a journal of the results and change your water RELIGIOUSLY. The solution to pollution is dilution. Looks like you are on top of the water changes based on your awesome looking setup.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Thanks. Is this a 55 gal.? I wanted to go bigger then the 90 but honestly don't have room. There is a guy in the Iowa reef society that has 2 custom 510 gal. Tanks and smaller also. He had the power go out 1 time and when it came back on it back flowed and pumped 400 gal. All over the floor. He now has a house backup generator...lol. He would not say how much was invested (wife wa here) but he did say well over 100K. He had some crap in them tanks that would scare the heck out of you...lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Are you planning to keep corals?
    I have a par meter I can mail you to use to map out the light intensity across the tank. Then just mail it back to me.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You are going to great lengths to get fresh seafood......Just bustin on ya......that is a cool hobby. What a great addition to the house.....great to see on here. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Wow, those setups are fantastic.  Luckily, we travel too much to get pulled into aquariums, 'cuz they are very appealing.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ... *(&^$$^ Vanilla

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's pretty cool.

They say a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.  A salt water aquarium is that, sans hole.  But what fun is not doing stuff that costs money?  Blasphemy.  Plus you're boosting the economy.  Hizzah!
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Thatgrimguythanks for the offer! I will definetly keep it in mind, that's very generous of you!

@badinfluence It's a 75 gallon.

The light is a reef breeders photon 48. I had my mind made up on Kessil's new ap700 untill I saw one over a 90 at the store, and it didn't seem to light the corners well. From what I've read, this light will do sps and lps, it's just a matter of programming it correctly.