Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Beer. Cuz sometimes you don’t feel like grilling. And cuz you need beer to cook on the Egg.

Had a few hours to myself yesterday for a change and decided to brew 2 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen. Weather was nice, sunny and around 65F so perfect for brewing some beer outside.

My outdoor brewing set up yesterday

My outdoor brewing set up yesterday

Got the wort cooled and into 2 1gallon carboys and pitched the yeast.

Into the carboys

I know I’ve been real bad about posting anything lately. Life changes and priorities change. Amazing what a kid can do to your life. That, and we’ve not been doing anything fancy lately. Steaks, burgers and simple cuts of meat. I need to do better, but am not going to make any promises.

Dukes showing some interest in grilling already

Duke’s showing some interest in grilling already.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Howdy stranger. Love me some beer. I have a few too many hobbies and projects right now, but brewing beer is going to be added at some point. I hear you about kids. I have a 3.5 year old and 9 month old. My how my weeknights and weekends have changed. Duke is growing up and a good looking fella. Real question--- does he like tater tots yet? Good to see you are okay
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sounds like a good productive use of time to me. Cheers
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Man, that looks cool!  I've often thought about getting into brewing. But I need another expensive hobby like I need another hole in my head.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sweet! 

I just joined the Crescent City Homebrewers society.   I've brewed in the past but with the help of these guys I hope to ratchet up my brewing skills a few notches.  They have some serious equipment and most of the local brewery's brew masters are in the club.
    Options
    Omg he's getting big. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Nice!  Just switched from extract to all grain brewing recently.  Putting together a Left Hand Milk Stout clone recipe for brewin' this Sunday.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Griffin
    Options
    @Chubbs ya know...I don't think he's had tater tots yet. I will make sure to give him some this weekend.

@NPHuskerFL I'd like to think so. I was able to get it done in under two hours including cleanup and got some reading done during the boil so I call it productive.

@Thatgrimguy I hear ya. You can get into it pretty cheap but how much you eventually want to spend can skyrocket. I'm looking at new 10 gallon pot which will cost probably $150 and a new burner to replace the cheap Academy turkey fryer one I have which will also be $150. I just collect bits and pieces here and there. Spent $60 on a wort chiller last month.

@nolaegghead I can see you taking it to a whole nother level. Maybe some kind of beer with beets in it? LOL. Learn all you can from those guys.

@henapple Thanks. Its amazing how fast they grow. I have a feeling he's going to start talking any day and then he probably won't shut up, just like me when I was a kid. He's been trying to talk for awhile now, it just doesn't make any sense. But he's got Mama and Dada down and knows that cows go Mooo!

@ChokeOnSmoke this was an extract batch just to refamiliarize myself with the whole process since its been so long. I've done extract, partial extract but the only AG I've done were one gallons. I've got a cooler that I converted to a mash tun and I've got all the stuff ready to go to do a Cream Ale, just need like 4 or 5 hours. That MIlk Stout sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

Rowlett, Texas

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I just got into brewing as well. Fun stuff.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Griffin
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I just got into brewing as well. Fun stuff.

Nice. Its a fun hobby. What have you brewed? All grain, extract or partial?

Rowlett, Texas

• Homebrewguy
    Options
    Just 2 gallons?  All my beer recipes are typically for 5-6 gallons.
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Looks good. I just got back into the hobby myself after a two year break. Started doing all grain this time with the grainfather.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I see a fine looking pup in the background supervising your brewing explots. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Duke is getting big. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Hello stranger..... Before you know it Duke will own that mini.  At the Last Plano eggfest grandson was perched on his daddy's shoulders while daddy was cooking......Now he has claimed the mini as his.  
    You still working in the lab?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Griffin, just the extract kits from northern Brewer so far. Did the Irish red, and hopefully caribou slobber tomorrow. I'd like to get the all grain set up at some point. I imagine it'll gets a lot more creative then.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Griffin
    Options
    @tjosborne wow!! That is an impressive setup for sure!!

@northGAcock that's my boy Oliver. He's kept me company through many brew sessions and overnight cooks.

@Mickey thanks. Someday I'll bring him to Salado

@AustinEgghead might have to get him his own when he's big enough. Still at the lab, moved up to Senior Chemist. Learning GC-MS now

@Jeremiah how was the red? If you want to start dabbling with all grain, try NB Bourbon Barrel Porter partial kit. Part grain, part extract. Still one of my best ones I've done. Just don't touch it for awhile. I made a mistake and drank most of it in the first year, and found it just kept getting better and better. Now I've only got a few left and they just turned 2 years old. One I will hang on to till the 3 year mark.

Rowlett, Texas