Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokes Sea Salt

Options
SirKeats
SirKeats Posts: 159
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever done this? My wife saw Gida (or whatever that hot italian woman's name is on Food Network) use some and wants me to try.[p]Any helpful hints much appreciated!

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    SirKeats,[p]Whoa - that is so weird that you asked this question. I was going to post the same thing. I hadn't seen it on tv, but I was looking around the 'net for different types of sea salt and I found some alder smoked stuff. I was thinking I might be able to make my own.[p]I hope someone has more info on this!
  • EggSport
    EggSport Posts: 33
    Options
    I just purchased some of this because I did not want an artificial smoke product.
    http://www.carolinesrub.com/hickory_smoked_sea_salt.asp

I decided on the kosher version since I think it will be more versatile in the future. Also, I plan to make my own in the long term, and really needed a standard to measure my attempts against. It's amazing how much detail you can get into involving a simple-sounding subject.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    SirKeats,
    ive done it with grey moist sea salt. pretty good in a bloody mary. what a remember is that the smoke flavor dissapated with time.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Ditto...with Alder wood.[p]Cooler smoke works best I think!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • rex clingan
    Options
    1/2" layer in a pyrex pie pan, smoked over cherry wood while/after cooking something, stirred occasionally. Very nice on top of, e.g., a kaiser roll.
  • SirKeats
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Hmm... maybe a trip to lowes for a dryer vent and a cardboard box from the local grocery store is in order! lol. would be fun to do a cold (cool) smoke anyway!

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    SirKeats,
    I just have one question... I've tried it four times now and I just can't keep the dang salt lit! How do you keep it lit and what are the benefits of smoking some salt?[p]

• Texas Geezer
    Options
    SirKeats, from the book "Smoke and Spice," p. 30:[p]"When you are planning to smoke any other dish, pour the salt onto a shallow pan or tray in a thin layer. Place the pan in the smoker so that juices from the other dish or dishes cannot drip inot the pan. Smoke for 20 to 30 minutes. To test whether the flavor is bold enough for you, sprinkle a bit on a cracker and taste. Continue to smoke longer if you wish. When cool, STORE COVERED IN A COOL, DARK PANTRY."[p]It's that last part that prompted me to provide this. I don't know why but this implies that light will degrade the flavor some how.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    SirKeats,
    I smoked some kosher salt because I was wanting to make some seasoned salt using the smoked kosher salt. I put about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the kosher salt on some aluminum foil inside a pan. Set up the egg at a relatively low temp, 240. I used fruit wood for the smoke. I stirred the salt every 15 minutes or so, and after about 45 minutes it had picked up a smokey taste and color. I took it out and let it cool, put into a mason jar. It did make really good seasoned salt!
    Chuck

• SirKeats
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]So I see in your other post you went ahead and gave this a go... how'd it turn out?!?