Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

just curious, if you were limited to the use of just one animal for all purposes

Options
which one would it be?
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    First place is beef
    Second place is pork
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Beef doesn't have bacon. Pig wins. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Taste buds say beef but my heart health says chicken.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    for eating, as pet, or whatever?
    canuckland
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Beef 100%
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Beef 100%
    You know you're killing the environment eating beef.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited January 2016
    Options
    elk, i can picture a leg of elk prosciutto to satisfy my bacon needs =) elk is better than beef
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Human. There are particular purposes that I use my human wife for that I would prefer not to give up.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    and there it is, hot  elk prosciutto =)

Oyama Sausage Company - Vancouver BC Canada Hot elk

fukahwee maine

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    eating, to include all edible products, milk, eggs & so forth...

This is what makes it tough for me, I could go pig over cow for bacon alone but I'm not sure I could give up all things dairy.  Also not sure I could go the distance without an omelet or egg related baked goods
    happy in the hut
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Beef.  Provides meat and dairy.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Spotted Owl .... just to anger PETA.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Native Texan chooses beef first and then Anything that roams on our property.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Is 'fish' an animal?  If so I would choose all the varieties of fish.

I could live on sushi no problem.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    gotta think a hog is the most useable/versatile animal there is.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

I don't know.  People rarely wear pig skin shoes or drink hogs milk.

I think cattle is most useful from that stand point.
  • Legume
    Options
    agree on the fish
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    eating, to include all edible products, milk, eggs & so forth...

This is what makes it tough for me, I could go pig over cow for bacon alone but I'm not sure I could give up all things dairy.  
    If it meant keeping bacon, I would learn how to milk a pig.

New Brunswick, Canada

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I prefer beef, but I have to ask @Ozzie_Isaac, what do you have against PETA?
    I have been a member of PETA for a very long time,
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals.............................. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    You haven't lived until you drink pig milk....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @jaydub58 when you put it that way, I have no issues ;)
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I would go with pig.. So many tasty bits including anal calamari (cooked correctly)..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Legume
    Options
    I would go with pig.. So many tasty bits including anal calamari (cooked correctly)..
    I have a theory on this - I think it must taste  terrible/**** and you just want other people to try it also.  How was it and how did you cook it?
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

I've wondered why it is I've never seen hog milk or cheese, no hog expert so gave wikipedia a read, apparently the swine is not partial to being milked in fact can get down right angry about it.  Anyone know this from experience?  Says the milk is gamy too, and low production. 

Anyway that's the bigger issue for me with ruling out the cow, great spectrum of meat & equally great on dairy products.  I'd sooner eat any cut of pork over beef but life with cheeseless pizzas would be unlivable.
    happy in the hut
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Beef
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have a theory on this - I think it must taste  terrible/**** and you just want other people to try it also.  How was it and how did you cook it?
     I am still waiting for Scottie to give us the details on how to cook.. I am just worried if it is good how to approach my family butcher..  =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GATraveller
    Options
     I am still waiting for Scottie to give us the details on how to cook.. I am just worried if it is good how to approach my family butcher..  =)
    From behind.....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    theres a place that milks moose for milk and cheese =) im sure an elk could be milked
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    Options

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA