Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature variance between grill and dome, questions!

Options
I am having a great difference between my dome temperature reading and the wireless BGE monitor when smoking and trying to keep around 225-250.

Where should I put the temperature gauge on the grill grate when using legs up method? If it's more towards an open spot and direct heat, it may read 275-285 while the dome temperature is only 200? Is this normal? 

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to get a new dome or grill grate thermometer to troubleshoot, or just try to place the grill grate thermometer closer towards the middle so it's not exposed as much to direct heat. It can just be hard to do this when smoking very large pieces of meat as the center of the grill that is protected by the conveggtor is taken up by the meat (like right now with an 8lb brisket).

Thanks so much for any advice or answers.

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Just make sure that your probe is in line with one of the legs of the platesetter. 
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    They should equalize somewhat as the cook goes on. Don't buy anything new just put them both in some boiling water to check calibration. You can calibrate the dome thermometer to 100c with the nut on back. 

Also, don't get caught up in the difference. Just pick one and use it, if it's calibrated. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The inside of the Egg has a fairly complex temperature profile. Down near the lump, the coals are producing heat up to about 2200F, and usually more like 1400F. Most of the energy is coming out as IR, whose intensity drops of to about 1/4 by the time it reaches the dome. When the IR is blocked by something like a platesetter, the IR and hot gasses raise the air temp and the ceramic temp. Anything in the air flow coming around the edges is getting fairly hot, dry heat. Above the 'setter, the grill area is usually somewhat cooler than at the top of the dome, where the hot air rises. Also, the mass of cool damp food makes a zone where it is comparatively cool. As time goes on, the ceramics heat up, and they even the temp out. However, the 'setter eventually reaches about 600F, and so becomes a secondary source of heat to the grill above it.

Simple, isn't it? If you put a half dozen different probes in, you would likely get a half dozen different readings. Most folks end up making sure the dome therm is calibrated, and use it as a touch point. With practice, one gets to know that on average, a cook done between 225F and 275F isn't all that different. Also, just a moment to test w. a thermopen or other fast read therm will allow the cooking to become more precise.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Even a commercial grade convection oven is going to have a wide range of temps across the interior, then maintain a set temp +/- a certain margin.  The Egg is a 3000 y/o design with zero moving parts.  Even with a $400 Wifi temp controller you're not going to nail down a temp.  If I'm within about 40-50F, I'm happy......because there's easily that much of a variation under the lid.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    gdenby said:
    The inside of the Egg has a fairly complex temperature profile. Down near the lump, the coals are producing heat up to about 2200F, and usually more like 1400F. Most of the energy is coming out as IR, whose intensity drops of to about 1/4 by the time it reaches the dome. When the IR is blocked by something like a platesetter, the IR and hot gasses raise the air temp and the ceramic temp. Anything in the air flow coming around the edges is getting fairly hot, dry heat. Above the 'setter, the grill area is usually somewhat cooler than at the top of the dome, where the hot air rises. Also, the mass of cool damp food makes a zone where it is comparatively cool. As time goes on, the ceramics heat up, and they even the temp out. However, the 'setter eventually reaches about 600F, and so becomes a secondary source of heat to the grill above it.

Simple, isn't it? If you put a half dozen different probes in, you would likely get a half dozen different readings. Most folks end up making sure the dome therm is calibrated, and use it as a touch point. With practice, one gets to know that on average, a cook done between 225F and 275F isn't all that different. Also, just a moment to test w. a thermopen or other fast read therm will allow the cooking to become more precise.
    Well duh! Who doesn't know this?(Me)
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA