Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt cook

Options
Cooking two Boston butts tomorrow an was curious what have y'all been using if any as injecting them? 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    I don't inject anymore but if you inject cold then wrap the butt in plastic wrap before you start.  Makes clean-up much easier for the stray shots.  Another approach is to inject hot once thru the stall.  Hopefully others will be along with eggsperience. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never injected. Sometimes I don't even use a rub on a butt, just s&p. And smoke. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    No injection here.  Only exterior rubs.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have had great results with Chris Lillys Injection recipe. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    You boiling them @travisstrick style in all that liquid?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I use a cup of apple cider or juice with about an 1/8 a cup of the rub I use  on the outside per butt.   It comes out great and I I use some of the juice from the cook back into the pulled pork. Something I want to try next time is injecting while the butts are still in the cryopack to keep it cantained.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    If I'm cooking for a catered event or people I don't know, I'll play with injections. Kinda experimenting a little!

Ive used everything from simple plain apple juice, to apple juice and rub mix, to beer, then beer and rub mix. All gave a different flavor. 

Wheb end I inject, I will inject thru the cryobag. Have a towel handy for the inevitable gusher. Then I'll wrap in a layer of saranwrap and let it bathe till its time to go on the egg. 

Then its peanut oil and whatever rub that strikes me at the moment. 

I try to keep all my cooks the same with temps so that variable is out of the picture. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I've compared Injection with Chis Lily method vs. Alton Brown brine method.   The end result was identical and nobody could tell a difference.  This was with a 12 hour brine.  Since then, I have got with a 24 hour brine and feel it's now significantly superior to the injection method.  Also, it's less messy than injection.  That said CL injection produces great Q.

I've slightly modified the AB brine recipe.  I double it for two butts.  Then I add one cup apple juice per butt and one tablespoon of rub per butt.  Then, because of the increased salt content, I make AB's rub which is salt free.(really simple).  The pic below was the first time I did this modified brine for 24 hours.  

Enjoy your cook.

Phoenix 
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Chris Lillys Injection recipe will work great for you.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Last time I prepared the CL injection I heated the mixture to dissolve the ingredients and let the butt rest in the fridge for a few hrs prior setting on the egg. It made a huge difference.
  • newegger169
    Options
    Amazing!!! Best I have ever done by far!! Honey hog injected an rubbed got it done
  • Smoker317
    Options
    I haven't tried injecting as we always use a finishing sauce after the butts are pulled.  Just pulled two off earlier this evening.  They are soaking in the finishing sauce in the crock pot in the fridge.  Will start the pot on low tomorrow around 3:00 PM for guests arriving around 8:00PM.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Ive done both and thought the meat had a bit more flavor and moisture with the injection (CL)...if Im in a hurry I wont worry about it and just cook, but if I have the time I'll probably inject the next one. It was pretty darn good