Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temps

Options
Does outside temperatures have an effect on whats inside your egg?  I mean who woulda thought it would be 60 couple degrees on christmas day but thats what they are calling for.  Just wondering if a low and slow still takes as long or if it will shorten time by being warmer outside.  My folks are coming over and i was going to put on a butt but unsure of a timeframe cook.  Thanks for your advice in advance.  Merry Christmas!

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Not really, but for a butt, finish early on purpose and ftc. It'll hold for hours. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The temp inside the egg will be the same, so cooking time will be the same.  Heat loss will vary with outside temp, so the size of the fire will vary.  This will affect the amount of lump burned. Vent settings will be different.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I find it mostly effects what and where you drink. You could have a warm sip of homemade Apple Pie Moonshine on a cold Winter's eve (Thanks to Bludawg) or an ice cold brew on a warm Summer day. Either way the Egg temp will be fine.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks for the help!  Oughta be real!!!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    External temps have little effect.

If an Egg sits for a couple of weeks in cold and damp weather, it will soak up lots of moisture. Then it will take maybe an hour to get to temp using regular settings. Gotta bake off all that water.

Otherwise...

I've cooked at -18 F, in a wind, using an Egg that had been under wraps. No difference from cooking at 75F and sunny.