Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg in rain

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live in Seattle & was interested in purchasing an Egg. I am concerned with how the Egg would hold up to NW rain. Any other Seattleites use an Egg? Should I build a small cover to keep it from getting wet?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    IMG_0209.jpg
    <p />kronnyj,
    Our weather isn't as wet as yours, but sometimes our rains drown frogs so I use a metal roof vent cover like this. Cost about $8.00. Just remember they get finger searing HOT!!!

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    RRP,[p]That's awesome!!! Gonna have to build me one of those!
  • SirKeats
    Options
    kronnyj,[p]i'm in oregon... not quite as bad as seattle, but it's rainin here now! LOL and we get lots of rain as well.[p]i keep my egg covered, but use it when it rains (gotta eat right?!). i've never had any problems... though i've not egged in a taranchal (spling?) downpour before. RRP's little hood thingy looks awesome though... make yourself one of those and you could egg in a monsoon!!
  • Texas Geezer
    Options
    kronnyj, I've lived in Seattle a couple of times (gotta love that liquid sunshine <g>). I'm not sure that your question relates to cooking in the rain, or general long-term maintenance and storage in a rainy environment.[p]With the long-slow rains I'm familiar with in the Seattle area (as opposed to downpours in other parts of the country), you should have no trouble with cooking in Seattle's rain, with or without some covering or RRP's stove-pipe gadget.[p]But if you're concerned about how the BGE holds up to damp conditions in storage, that's another whole set of issues - but they're all manageable.[p]Which did you mean?

• Unknown
    Options
    Texas Geezer, sorry for not being more specific. I meant slow & low cooking. I have a garage to store it when not cooking but was concerned with cooking for 10-12 hours. It doesn't rain all day here just once or twice or three times a day. (lol) Thank you for your response.

• Unknown
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you! I will have to buy one of those.
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    2006_0409FoodandSuch0004.jpg
    <p />kronnyj,
    Having not invested the time or money in a true outdoor kitchen, I just threw up a $99 cover which happens to work great – this is an old photo so the space has evolved a lot but you get the idea.[p]There are concerns about fire safety issue with such a set up, but I have not had a problem, even with the high temp sears and a lot of overnight cooks.[p]And the way the weather has been in the Houston area, it is either this, or attach some pontoons to the eggs!

• SirKeats
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p]I'd like to get one of these myself, but you never see them in brown do you... always blue. I could even go for green... but around here I've only ever seen blue. Not that it's a big deal... but an earth-tone would work better with my home. LOL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    I had to laugh - I see you have a vent cap on your BGE and it's under your canopy - kinda like wearing suspenders and a belt just in case one of them doesn't work?

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    RRP,
    Ya, now that you point it out I had to laugh too! I had just put it up and moved the eggs under it. But, you can never be too careful now can ya - no water in my egg!

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    SirKeats,
    Save yourself the trouble. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson Cit, MO

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    kronnyj,
    I live in Monroe, Wa and cook with 2 large eggs that I keep outside, uncoverd 100% of the time. The only weather related problem I've ever had is cond. in the thermomater. A small bead of silacone around the edge of the face when they are new will take care of that. We will be cooking at a one day contest at the SODO Home Depot on June 10th if you would like to stop by and talk about Eggs....

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    kronnyj,
    I've never used a rain cap and never had any problems with the rain interfering with my cooks...

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    Comfy looking place.[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    new3.jpg
    <p />kronnyj,
    Umbrella...although now an updated version...stays up 365 days a year. Just one of many ways to beat the wet. BTW...we could sure use a little more "wet".[p]Mike

• SirKeats
    Options
    LawnRanger,[p]feel free to take some of mine... i'm sick of this frikin rain! lol.

• J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    kronnyj,[p]I live in Oregon also, and have never covered my large in about 6 years. Sometimes I have to shovel snow to get to it and push the snow off, but the Egg and it's parts seem to do fine in the weather. I now am in the habit of taking out my thermometer and keeping inside as condensation can develop inside the glass. Also, sometimes I notice that the outer surface of the Egg will "sweat" beads of moisture when coming up to temp after being unused in the winter/wet weather for a while. I don't think this is a big issue either, as it's just probably working moisture out of the ceramic itself. [p]Someone jump in here if they think it may be a risk to heat a wet egg quickly whereby rapid expansion of the moisture to steam could pose a problem to the ceramic parts.[p]Justin
  • BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    I saw your picture when you posted this a number of weeks ago. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and couldn't find one of these. At least I couldn't explain well enough to the floor staff to help me find one. Which department do you go to to buy one of these?[p]thanks,
    Brian