Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a day

Options

Comments

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    @EggDan -looks delish and I will certainly put cinn rolls on top of list!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options

My bread blobs! Thinking the dough is to wet or I'm not cooking it long enough. What do you guys think?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Looks like you need to use a bowl so the bread stays to form. Then you need to carefully transfer into Dutch oven or on to stone. Also when forming make sure you seal seams, if your making a round dough ball seal the underside.

On deck today going for first baguette.

Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Davec433 said:

My bread blobs! Thinking the dough is to wet or I'm not cooking it long enough. What do you guys think?

Looks like you need some help on the gluten cloaking.

So many places that the process can fall apart. What flour are you using and are you measuring by volume or by weight? Weight is crucial.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Davec433
    Options
    Davec433 said:

Looks like you need some help on the gluten cloaking.

So many places that the process can fall apart. What flour are you using and are you measuring by volume or by weight? Weight is crucial.
    I honestly just grab a chunk and slap it on some parchment paper. My cloaking sucks not sure if my hands don't have enough flour on them but the dough will just stick to my hands and the parchment paper.

@skinnyv What do you mean by seal?
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Flour your hands, the seal is think of the bread as a balloon that needs to blow up. The tighter the seal the more it gasses and rises. It also needs something to hold the form, in my earlier pic I use a well floured bowl and after it has risen the second time it holds that shape when I transfer it to the oven.
    Seattle, WA
  • Davec433
    edited December 2015
    Options
    http://youtu.be/45z18TtFijU

@SkinnyV after watching this video it makes more sense. Thanks for your help.

@Thatgrimguy I've been using cheapest all purpose flour I can find just to get the process down. Do you see any major differences in the flour you use?
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes, different flours have different hydration needs. Some cheaper flours will need less water and some flours like King Arthur are higher in protein and need more water added.

The artisan bread in 5 recipes are written with Gold Medal flour assumed. Which is a medium to low protein flour. I think about 8% (king arthur is like 10%)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Davec433
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy I must have totally glossed over that portion. How do you tell when to add more water or flour to get the consistency you want?
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    1 for 3

i don't know what happend to the other 2. First time will get better, evenness and my cuts look bad.

Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    @Thatgrimguy I must have totally glossed over that portion. How do you tell when to add more water or flour to get the consistency you want?
    Exactly which flour are you using? I'll help you figure it out... Or just start buying gold medal flour and you will be cooking with the same flour she is.  Over time you will get an idea of how a recipe should "feel". You just got to bake a lot and keep notes. Just like BBQ
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

SkinnyV said:
    1 for 3

i don't know what happend to the other 2. First time will get better, evenness and my cuts look bad.

You want a slice that is about half the length of the bread for Baguette.  

Here is a Batard I did that shows the angle (still not very pretty).  It didn't rise well. I didn't support it like you did. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Over time you will get an idea of how a recipe should "feel". You just got to bake a lot and keep notes. Just like BBQ
    This. ++++++1
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    @davec433 thx for the video! Does anyone have the lame she uses?
    Rome, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    Do ya'll use a banneton?
    Rome, GA
  • Davec433
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    Exactly which flour are you using? I'll help you figure it out... Or just start buying gold medal flour and you will be cooking with the same flour she is.  Over time you will get an idea of how a recipe should "feel". You just got to bake a lot and keep notes. Just like BBQ
    I'm not going to recreate the wheel I'll just use Gold Medal Flour. Are proofing baskets worth while? Thanks.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Baskets or some kind of bowls to hold your shape. I used a mixing bowl for the longest time just bough my first basket. Make sure the bowl is about the right size for the amount of dough and final rise you want your bread to come out looking like.

baguettes above came out great, once you slice em you can't tell the form they came out the oven in. Now I just want to perfect the shape, because a nice baguette would be great to give out.

Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    They look beautiful @SkinnyV
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Got my dutch whisk last night from Amazon.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

This thread is not good for me! I've baked a few loaves in a DO and started dabbling in the whole bread thing. I could eat a whole loaf by myself! But then SWMBO would be pissed that she didn't get any, so I have to control myself.

I think I'll get my book tomorrow, along with a banneton because I had really wanted to try using one. I also think I'm about to get fatter.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    This thread makes me curse my eating choices in the past that led me to develop Diabetes. I would so much like to be experimenting in these artisan breads but alas, cannot.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Hibby said:
    This thread makes me curse my eating choices in the past that led me to develop Diabetes. I would so much like to be experimenting in these artisan breads but alas, cannot.
    All in moderation.  I just have to use a little more insulin when I bake a loaf... 
  • Davec433
    Options

This is loaf turned out a lot better than my "bread blob." I switched flour brands, measured everything out to the gram and used a proofing basket. Next time I'll let it sit in the proofing basket longer and wipe off all the excess flour.
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Nice looking loaf
  • Davec433
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @tfhanson thanks!

Not sure if the crumb is to dense. I think on the next loaf I'll air it out for an hour or so before throwing it on. Trying to get a decent shaped loaf to hand out to all the neighbors for Xmas!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dang right, @Davec433 !  That a way to come back.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    That's solid, you are in the right track.
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Davec433 - that looks better than some of my loaves. I like a dense crumb like that. I'm not getting much oven spring. i think I need to let it rise longer before baking, or work on sealing the loaf better. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    @Davc433, that loaf looks ALOT better than the bread blob. Keep at it , you're on the right track. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Davec433
    Options
    @caliking When I put all the stuff together I throw it in the beer fridge overnight. I tried to seal the dough but I felt like I was kneading it and not really doing anything constructive so I out it in the proofing basket for about an hour.